Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees okay in full shade in winter?

Posted by aliaub Phoenix 9A (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 15:54

Hi All,

I have a part of my yard that I had ordered bare root fruit trees for many months ago. Well they are scheduled to arrive in the next couple of weeks and I'm questioning their location now. When I had planned out the space for them, the area was in full sun. Well 1/3 of the area has been in full shade for many months. Will this cause a fruiting issue? I searched online but came up with limited info and the nursery I ordered from is very busy right now and hard to get a hold of. I'm planting apple, peach, plum and apricot trees. Any experience or help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees okay in full shade in winter?

I'm not an expert, but if it's only in the shade while it's in dormancy, it may be more helpful as it may give it more chill hours in its microclimate.

But I have a Burgundy Plum, a Nectaplum and a Flavor Grenade growing in a less than ideal spot in my backyard between two trees with limited sun. The nectaplum in the middle is doing great and is flowering and fruiting right now as was around 9 feet tall before my landlord had the two large trees pruned and the tree cutters let the branches fall on my trees. Now it's 7 feet as the tip was damaged. These trees were planted last year. So I hope as well that it will not matter much. Though, my burgundy is starting to bloom now as well. I live in Southern California.

This post was edited by mtux96 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 16:43

o
RE: Fruit trees okay in full shade in winter?

I have 4 pluots/plums that are in a side yard that is pretty much shaded all winter, without direct sunlight and they have been fine. The ground the are planted in don't get direct sunlight all winter. Did you choose a wet soil tolerant rootstock like citation? I also live in southern CA, so I think that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here