Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of drought tolerant fruits?

Posted by nullzero (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 16:08

I am looking for fruits and nut trees that are drought tolerant... Off the top of my head I could only come up with these; Pomegrante, Olives, Prickely Pear Cactus, Date Palms, and Avocado. Is there any good fruits and nuts I am leaving out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of drought tolerant fruits?

I think you're better off asking about a specific climate.

Last year, we were in drought conditions where there were some water restrictions and all the lawns turned brown. And even with that happening, I didn't have to water any of my fruit trees (apples, peach, pear, persimmon, etc).

o

Was looking for drought tolerant fruit/nut plants in a zone 9 Mediterranean/Desert climate. Some examples like Southern California, Israel, Greece, Turkey etc.

o

Doing some more research, I found several fruits to add;

Serviceberries/Juneberries
Australian Desert Lime (Supposely the best drought tolerant citrus)
Loquat
Mulberries
Figs (many varieties)
Pineapple Guava
Blackberries (drought tolerant once established)

o

Here is what you are looking for...

http://www.starnursery.com/print.php?page=note.php%3Fid%3D28

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1269/

http://www.digitalseed.com/gardener/fruit/1chill.html

o

We get an average of fifteen inches of rain a year, with a range of seven to twenty being common. The rain falls from late fall through spring, mostly January through March. On my property the following fruits grow without supplemental water:

oranges (yes, really, and they do bear fruit)
kumquats
loquats
olives (I don't eat these)
mulberries

The following grow with monthly supplemental water:

figs
plums
mandarins

My apricot picks up some water from the irrigation of a nearby flower bed, but honestly it would be better off without the water. So, at least, the certified horticultural person at the local nursery tells me.

There are also a variety of cherry plums and nut trees planted some sixty or seventy years ago that are outside my watering zone. I don't harvest them and the wildlife get the fruit and nuts, but they definitely do flower and bear.

Rosefolly

o

Jujubes like it hot and dry - see link below.

I think they are an excellent fruit, unlike some of the other uncommon fruits which have major defects. They are in fact a common fruit in China, it is only the rest of the world where they are uncommon.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Jujubes info from TAMU

o

found out from the link posted that almonds thrive in drought enviroments.

o

carob drought loving pest ad disease self growing
100% edible by humans and animals too and very industrial fruit tree.where ever citrus grows it is perfect.

o

Carob trees are all over San Jose in the parking strips, surprised they planted them in these places with all the pods they drop. My dogs love to eat them. They smell great I'll probably try and process some later in the year....

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 17:31

Most fruit trees are somewhat drought tolerant once established, provided they are planted with such a plan in mind. Otherwise holding back water can do a lot of harm. BYOC plantings will require much more water as tree spacing is tighter and smaller tree size is maintained.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here