Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nullzero_gw

List of drought tolerant fruits?

nullzero
16 years ago

I am looking for fruits and nut trees that are drought tolerant... Off the top of my head I could only come up with these; Pomegrante, Olives, Prickely Pear Cactus, Date Palms, and Avocado. Is there any good fruits and nuts I am leaving out?

Comments (14)

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

I think you're better off asking about a specific climate.

Last year, we were in drought conditions where there were some water restrictions and all the lawns turned brown. And even with that happening, I didn't have to water any of my fruit trees (apples, peach, pear, persimmon, etc).

• nullzero
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Was looking for drought tolerant fruit/nut plants in a zone 9 Mediterranean/Desert climate. Some examples like Southern California, Israel, Greece, Turkey etc.

• nullzero
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doing some more research, I found several fruits to add;

Serviceberries/Juneberries
    Australian Desert Lime (Supposely the best drought tolerant citrus)
    Loquat
    Mulberries
    Figs (many varieties)
    Pineapple Guava
    Blackberries (drought tolerant once established)

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

We get an average of fifteen inches of rain a year, with a range of seven to twenty being common. The rain falls from late fall through spring, mostly January through March. On my property the following fruits grow without supplemental water:

oranges (yes, really, and they do bear fruit)
    kumquats
    loquats
    olives (I don't eat these)
    mulberries

The following grow with monthly supplemental water:

figs
    plums
    mandarins

My apricot picks up some water from the irrigation of a nearby flower bed, but honestly it would be better off without the water. So, at least, the certified horticultural person at the local nursery tells me.

There are also a variety of cherry plums and nut trees planted some sixty or seventy years ago that are outside my watering zone. I don't harvest them and the wildlife get the fruit and nuts, but they definitely do flower and bear.

Rosefolly

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Jujubes like it hot and dry - see link below.

I think they are an excellent fruit, unlike some of the other uncommon fruits which have major defects. They are in fact a common fruit in China, it is only the rest of the world where they are uncommon.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: Jujubes info from TAMU

• nullzero
    Original Author
    16 years ago

found out from the link posted that almonds thrive in drought enviroments.

• kenny310
    9 years ago

carob drought loving pest ad disease self growing
    100% edible by humans and animals too and very industrial fruit tree.where ever citrus grows it is perfect.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Carob trees are all over San Jose in the parking strips, surprised they planted them in these places with all the pods they drop. My dogs love to eat them. They smell great I'll probably try and process some later in the year....

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Most fruit trees are somewhat drought tolerant once established, provided they are planted with such a plan in mind. Otherwise holding back water can do a lot of harm. BYOC plantings will require much more water as tree spacing is tighter and smaller tree size is maintained.

• Edward Newgate
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Indian jujbe will take over in spread like a weed in drought lands. They did this in Australia, places where no other trees even grow these things are growing. They are yummy too. Burdikin plum from Australia is native to dry Australia too.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

Take avocados off your list. They are very thirsty! High maintenance. According to an article I read on yahoo this morning, due to California's drought and the costs of keeping them alive and healthy, Avocados are the next caviar! We have 3, and they do require a lot of water.

Most plants require water while getting established. Prickly Pear might be your best bet. I have one fig tree that wilts in the heat. Violette De Bordeaux. Panachee Fig turns yellow and drops her leaves if her emitter is clogged and she doesn't get the water she loves.

We named one of the paths that meander through our acreage "Olive Lane," because we planted two Olive trees to flank it. They both are on the drip system. One tree is thriving. The other is stunted. Both very green. For a year one had no water and the other did. We didn't notice the broken emitter.

A drought tolerant vegetable tree is Moringa Oliefera. We grow that as a hedge and use the leaves in salads. I'm not a fan of the pods, but the trees buzz with bees after the flowers.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Not a fruit but Caper bushes grow in old dry walls and are very drought proof. Pretty flowers too.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

We have many interesting things, including trees, growing in the cracks of boulders on our property. I LOVE capers! Didn't know we could grow them. Looking at many ads for them now online. We live in a Mediterranean climate which is perfect for them. Thanks for the heads up!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm