Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how big do Fuyu persimmon trees get?

Posted by thisbud4u San Diego (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 08 at 16:22

Simple question: How big do Fuyu persimmon trees get? My friend purchased a Fuj-Jiro ("apple persimmon") bare root tree from Home Depot. The tag said it came from Dave Wilson nursery, so of course I went there to try to get info on it, but the website for DW Nursery doesn't seem to have any info on the size of the tree when mature. If anyone knows, please reply. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how big do Fuyu persimmon trees get?

They get about 12 - 15 feet if you let them. I keep mine only as tall as I can reach and I have trained the lower branches horizontally (I planted 4 within 2' of each other and keep the inside branches either pruned or trained away from the center "light well." They are more like persimmon bushes than trees).
If you summer prune them to keep them shorter it may be a factor in bringing them to fruit sooner. I read it takes up to 5 years for persimmons to start fruiting but mine fruited the 2nd year and I got ~100 fruits by the 3rd year. Jiro is what is sold as Fuyu in this country.

o

Thanks, greenwitch!

o

I have seen really big ones but that is only if they are in really good soil with plenty of water.
Soil is a bit scarse at my place I have one tree planted on rock and it has only grown to about 6 foot tall in 15 years
It still has good fruit tho

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here