Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john222_gg

muscadines & cold weather

john222-gg
10 years ago

I have put in muscadines this last year but I don't know how well they will take the cold. My weather is not going to be as bad as the people up north but tonight it will drop into the teens. Not even low teens. I just don't know how much cold weather muscadines can take. Any advise would be helpful. Should I cover or not?

Comments (7)

• Scott F Smith
    10 years ago

Teens should be OK, but single digits can be bad. They usually come back from the roots if they die but then you have a few years before they are fruiting again.

4F for me tonight, I could lose a muscadine or two.

Scott

• poolecw
    10 years ago

I planted muscadines back in Spring 2013 as well. When it got really cold, I mounded hay straw around them for protection. I went 2ft thick and maybe 3ft in diameter.

Isons Nursery in middle Ga recommends mounding dirt up around the trunk and leaving until spring.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Hubby pruned ours the other day. January is our month to prune. It will give you much better production. Find out when you need to do your annual pruning.

• vanman23
    10 years ago

I have a Cowart muscadine planted against the South wall of a barely heated guest house. It got down to 2 degrees here in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago and suppose to be 8 degrees tonight. It actually pulled the trellis down over the summer and is just laying on the ground. Just checked the plant this AM and it is still green and flexible. So hopefully it will be OK. I think I am about as far north as possible to grow muscadine. I've never seen a wild plant here like I have in GA when I was growing up.

Van

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

A couple of weeks ago it got down to -3 here. My 4 muscadine vines still appear to be alive and healthy. Even the "Ison" which is supposedly more prone to cold damage. Getting down to around 5 tonight, and more single digit temps next week. By far the coldest winter here in at least 30 years. I'm hoping everything pulls through. Spring can't get here soon enough.

• eciton
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I know this is an old thread but just checking to see how everyone's vines did after these postings.

It's been in the low teens to single digits this week and we are headed into another week of single digit lows... And I just planted about five new vines this fall... :(

• garymc
    6 years ago

Well, fortunately, muscadines aren't grafted, so even if your vines get killed to the ground, they'll probably send up new shoots from the roots. If you just planted them, they won't be set back by much. I'm in zone 7, too, and I'm wondering what this weather will bring. I've had muscadines since 2010. We had a snow here the first week of Feb, 2015 and it didn't melt until the first week of March. During that time we had -10 degree temps. Many of my vines were killed back to knee high or ankle high, but they were back up to the wires that year, many with grapes. But there was a blanket of snow insulating the ground then and we don't have that here this year. It will be interesting.

Oh, I see someone mentioned pruning in January. You probably won't have to worry about it this year, but if you're in zone 7, don't prune until the end of February or early March. You need to wait until the danger of winter damage is over before pruning.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living