Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Does Miracle Fruit...

Edymnion
12 years ago

...sprout multiple stems from one root mass?

Synsepalum dulcificum, the african red berry that when you chew it it will make anything sour taste sweet afterwards. I have one growing now that I got in late October last year that has been doing well.

Just noticed something odd while doing the rounds today with my sprouting/overwintering plants. The miracle fruit has another seedling sprout coming up all of a sudden.

My first thought was "What? I mixed that soil myself, it shouldn't have any extra seeds in it?" and tried to gently pull whatever it was up. Didn't budge, whatever it is its in there real good. And since its nothing but seed leaves right now, I can't really tell if its the same plant or not (although the seed leaves do look a lot like the real leaves on the main plant).

Before I go and yank it out with force, I wanted to double check that these things (first time growing one) aren't one of those plants that will send up multiple stems from the same root cluster.

If they do, I'll be happy to let it grow it's second stem and leave it alone. If they aren't known to do that, I'll give it a harder yank.

Comments (3)