Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Miracle Fruit...

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 17:02

...sprout multiple stems from one root mass?

Synsepalum dulcificum, the african red berry that when you chew it it will make anything sour taste sweet afterwards. I have one growing now that I got in late October last year that has been doing well.

Just noticed something odd while doing the rounds today with my sprouting/overwintering plants. The miracle fruit has another seedling sprout coming up all of a sudden.

My first thought was "What? I mixed that soil myself, it shouldn't have any extra seeds in it?" and tried to gently pull whatever it was up. Didn't budge, whatever it is its in there real good. And since its nothing but seed leaves right now, I can't really tell if its the same plant or not (although the seed leaves do look a lot like the real leaves on the main plant).

Before I go and yank it out with force, I wanted to double check that these things (first time growing one) aren't one of those plants that will send up multiple stems from the same root cluster.

If they do, I'll be happy to let it grow it's second stem and leave it alone. If they aren't known to do that, I'll give it a harder yank.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Miracle Fruit...

Depends how small the plant is it can do that. I've grown some from seeds and I've seen that. Larger plants usually retain a single trunk..

Bass

o

This is a pretty small plant, it just put out it's 4th leaf a week or two ago. It took this long to settle in, it seems, but in the past couple of weeks its has finally started taking off.

So these things can send up a second stem, thats good to know. I'll just leave it be then. Worst case scenario the new shoot matures into something else entirely and I just pull it then.

If it is a second miracle fruit stem from the same roots, I'm assuming the best thing to do would be to just leave it be permanently, not try and separate it out later on? Or would it be better to try and make two plants out of it once they get bigger and I'm repotting anyway?

o

It would be best to keep it as two stems on one root ball, but if you want to try and air layer it, or something similar, go ahead. It would be dangerous to try and separate the roots to each plant though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here