Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it Too Late for this Plum Tree?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 17:05

We recently purchased property with existing, neglected fruit trees. I noticed this problem today on the plum. One branch has started to bloom, but I'm wondering if this tree can be saved.

It is covered with sappy lesions.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it Too Late for this Plum Tree?

You can cut off the main trunk, The three branches on the right side look healthy to keep.

Tony

o

Unless they're from the root stock in which case you likely won't have quality fruit you desire.

o

We just walked out and checked, and we can cut the main trunk off. Half the tree is blooming, and the other half not.

What is wrong, and how can I prevent it from spreading?

Thanks for your answers!

Suzi

o

Use copper spray during dormant season before bloom then once the petals fall use Spectracide once and done as directed. Good Luck.

Tony

o

If the three healthy branches are suckers from the root stock, multi-graft them.

o

We removed the main trunk just above where the 3 tranches began. Actually, there are 4. The tree looks 100% better! We sealed the wound with some plant sealer. Ugly stuff. Black, but we feel comfortable.

We put the diseased trunk in the fire wood pile. None of it will go into the compost pile.

I wish I knew what that problem is and how to treat those nice healthy branches so it doesn't happen to them!

Rain tonight they say. Good news for drought stricken California. It's actually chilly! Well, yu wouldn't think so, but feels cold to me!

How can I prevent this icky sappy condition from happening?

Thanks!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here