Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tatton95

How do you fertilize blackberries, raspberries & strawberries?

tatton95
12 years ago

I am trying to figure out the best way to fertilize blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. I currently fertilize only in the spring, and it seems like they could use a little more later on in the season. Oregon State (which seems like it would be a good source since berries grow so well in Oregon) recommends taking the total amount of fertilizer, divide it into three amounts and feed the berries in early spring, late spring and early summer. I have read so many different methods, that I'm not sure which is the best. Just wondering what has worked best for those who grow these berries?

Thank you.

Brett

Comments (2)

• jolj
    12 years ago

I do not fertilize my raspberries & they are still trying to take over( I water & get bigger berries).
    I put compost out every Spring & early Fall, then mulch to keep water in & weeds out of my blackberries & strawberries.

• larry_gene
    12 years ago

The Oregon State method you referred to probably involves fairly fast-acting fertilizer, is intended for commercial farmers, and would work well.

For blackberries, a good dose of manure-containing mulch applied in late fall or early winter works fine for the rest of the year, can protect the ground from freezing in winter and drying out in summer.

Water becomes more important in late spring to early summer if your weather is dry then.