Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

gold raspberry bushes

bakemom_gw
12 years ago

I've heard this is a fabulous variety. I've been growing the regular ones for years.

Can anyone tell me more about them and recommend a good source for mail order canes?

Comments (19)

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

They are usually more tart than normal ones and should not be planted near the black/red cultivars.

They are not too rare so if you liked your source for the plants you have, they probably keep a golden one too. You may also try salmonberries.

http://www.starkbros.com/products/berry-plants/raspberry-plants/anne-yellow-raspberry

• Voyage034
    12 years ago

What happens if gold are planted next to red? Do they cross pollinate and all the fruit come out red? Im planning on planting both red and gold for the first time and maybe you have just saved me a headache!

• ocbrian2
    12 years ago

I have red Caroline planted near my yellow Anne raspberries and nothing happens. I would check out Norse farms for a huge selection, that's where I bought most of my berries from and they have great quality.

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

I honestly have no idea why they say not to do it, my only guess is that the yellow might be a recessive trait and with some other cultivars it will not give you the color crop you were hoping for.

• denninmi
    12 years ago

Avoid the original, old variety 'Fall Gold' - it's a dog, weak and unproductive. Kiwi Gold is great but kind of hard to find . I have limited experience with Anne but it also appears to be a good variety.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

planting two types will not change the fruit ...

UNLESS ... you grew the seeds from the fruit.. then there might be genetic anomalies ..

i got some raspb. when i ordered from stark bro's/guerney/jung ..

10 years ago.. i think they were fall gold... i found them tart.. but if left on until they blush pink.. very sweet...

looks like anne is the current type generally available ...

i would not expect much the first year.. if anything .. no spring crop for sure.. maybe a straggler in fall ... aim for next spring on a crop .. if you plant this spring ...

raspberry is hard to kill .. so i would go by price ... you will be hard pressed to fail with this ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: flip to the search side

• mrsg47
    12 years ago

Hi, I've grown 'Fall Gold' and they are small. My favorite golden raspberry that I now grow is 'Kiwi Gold'. This yellow raspberry is very sweet, with a taste of honey! Quite yummy. They produce berries on the ends of their canes and mine produced through November in Zone 6-7. Hope this helps. Golden raspberries are not tarter, they are sweeter.

• Kevin Reilly
    12 years ago

I put Anne in this year and it gave me a small fall crop. They are very sweet if left to ripen completely. Probably my favorite of my three new primocanes that fruited this year, followed by Autumn Bliss and then Caroline (they all taste good though).

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

I used to have Anne planted with Heritage, and Anne was getting out competed by Heritage. The berries I did get were very good, sweeter than a regular raspberry. I recommend ordering from Nourse as they sent me very nice bareroot plants.

• abz5b
    12 years ago

I have Anne Caroline and Heritage. Anne is by Far the sweetest if left to ripen it is classified as a desert raspberry. Also one of the larger raspberries. Caroline is large as well. Anne is my kids favorite out of all three have a tough time getting to them sometimes.

• thepodpiper
    12 years ago

Has anyone ordered from Awald Farms? They are the only one that seems to have the Kiwi Gold plants.

Dale

Here is a link that might be useful: Kiwi Gold

• thepodpiper
    12 years ago

I stand corrected, just talked to them and they are discontinued.

Dale

• djofnelson
    12 years ago

Edible Landscaping (where I got mine) normally has Kiwi Gold in stock.

In my heavy soil, Anne is very tasty, but a weak grower and not very productive. Kiwi Gold is a much more vigorous and productive for me.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

>>I've heard this is a fabulous variety. I've been growing the regular ones for years.You're probably better off with your regular one's, ...it's known that dark fruit is better for you, more antioxidant etc. Sure, it's nice to have a variety but I wouldn't want to grow too many, I have the yellow one's too, very productive, very sweet but misses the raspberry taste/acid.

• bob_z6
    12 years ago

Anne is my kids' favorite. They are good, but I prefer Autumn Britian (Caroline and Prelude are good too).

I have had some problems growing Anne. I've got half a dozen varieties and they are the only type where I've had die-out (3 plants in a row). About 10-15 feet away there is another Anne which is doing quite well. It was the last plant to go dormant for the year and survived several ~28 degree nights, fruiting into mid-December.

Bob

• brookw_gw
    12 years ago

American Meadows carries Kiwi Gold, but they're pretty pricey. I have had great difficulties getting the golds established and have put them on hold for awhile. Unlike most raspberries, which are like weeds, I think the golds may be a bit more demanding of optimum conditions.

• iammarcus
    12 years ago

Raintree Nursery was offering free raspberries and strawberries equal to 20% of your order but offer may not be available anymore. I'm getting 4 of one variety and 3 Caroline.
    Dan

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ordered five golden raspberries "Annie" from Burpee. Thanks for all your help! I'm very excited about this experiment.

• glenn_russell
    12 years ago

Anne could be argued to be the best tasting raspberry of them all. Unlike Kiwi Gold which has a much more unique (but still very good flavor IMHO), Anne tastes like a great very sweet red. Mine produces huge yellow berries. But, the plant is probably my least hardy variety. I'd say that Anne and Prelude are my favorite raspberries that I grow at the moment. -Glenn

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler