Is There Any Commercial Source For 'Tennosui' Pear

gonebananas_gw
13 years ago

Or "Meadows"?

Comments (15)

• maryhawkins99
    13 years ago

Angel Oak in NC, maybe.

I've been wondering the same thing, & just googled " tennosui pear nursery". looks like there are 2-3, but not anybody I've heard of before. maybe I'll drive to Houston where it started & pick one up.

• lucky_p
    13 years ago

gb,
    I think I've seen Meadows in the NCGR list; haven't looked in a while - Tennosui may be in there too. NCGR does provide scions, but I think the cutoff date for ordering is Dec 1.

• gonebananas_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks both.

NCGR does not seem to have them.

Angel Oak is about 100 miles from me and I pass there every few months (but five days ago unfortunately). I had never heard of it and am glad for the notice. "Meadows" seems a bit harder to find. I have tried several times.

• maryhawkins99
    13 years ago

Meadow available at brazoscitrusnursery.com. But it's wholesale only

• jimbabb
    13 years ago

you would be better off with orient if you want a domestic pear that is some what like an Asian. Or go with a true asian like Olympic aka Korean Giant, or Shinko.

• Tricia_bradbury_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Fort Bend County Master Gardener sale on Feb. 12 will have Tennosui, Kieffer, & Shinseiki pears. Bareroot from Dave Wilson Nursery.

• scaper_austin
    13 years ago

Well I dont think he mail orders them but John Panzarella in the Houston Area has them or at least his website says he does. I had one that I bought from the Houston fruit tree sale a few years ago but I had to move and it was left behind. I would love to start another one. BHawkins are you seriously thinking of going to Htown to buy one? If so let me know because I would gladly pay you to pick one up for me if you go. I will gladly pay you shipping also. You can contact me offlist or on if you can. Boy is it cold in Dallas or what?

Scaper

• maryhawkins99
    13 years ago

Hi Scape, good to hear from you. If you're looking at trees, then you must have bought that house in Dallas; how much land do you have, & where did you buy?

I'd like a tennosui, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time for the 250 mile trip to Houston. I emailed John Panzarella; his daughter's tree in Plano is still alive & well, bore a few fruit in its 3rd year

Bob

• scaper_austin
    13 years ago

Your right I got it. Dont have a lot of land yet but I plan to espalier my trees for space saving. Yeah Tennosui I think would do very well here. I also tried emailing John But so far he has not responded. It says on his website he sometimes will deliver a tree if he comes to the area and I would be more than willing to wait but like I say he hasnt replied yet oh well. I have heard that Dave Wilson is starting to grow them but they use 333 rootstock which makes a lazy dog of tree that seems to stop growing and producing after a few years. I would be more than willing to graft my own tree if I could find graft wood available. If you do wind up in Houston anytime soon please let me know. If I go Ill do the same. By the way, JimBabb if you see this why do you think they would be better off with a true Asian? Just curious about the comment.

• macmanmatty2
    13 years ago

Anyone still looking for some tennousi grafting wood contact me. Danny must have sent me half his tree in scion wood!!!

• maryhawkins99
    13 years ago

Scape, John p is going to try to bring me 2 trees in 2-3 weeks, one of them has your name on it

Bob

• gonebananas_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I see now that Bay Laural Nursery is carrying it (and that I misspelled it: "Tennhousi").

They also carry "Southern Bartlett," not easy to find up till now (though a kind home orchardist gave me scionwood a few years ago and mine is soon to yield).

• barnetmill
    10 years ago

I purchased what is labeled as a Tennosui from them this year as a bareroot. There was no charge for it since there was some minor damage to the rootstock. It is growing. It is becoming little shaded out and I need get back there asap with the weed wacker and get it some more sunlight since its growth has slowed down. Bay Laural has a large selection and I may order from them again. Everything I ordered except for a cherry has done well. It really is my weather that is causing the problem and the cherry is still in a pot.

• Marcus Toole
    8 years ago

I obtained a Tennsoui Pear from Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida this winter. I see that this thread was from a couple of years ago. Do any of you have any reports to share about year experience with Tennsoui so far?

• barnetmill
    8 years ago

Tennosui, southern bartlett, southern king, southern queen, home acres, and other pear trees for the south are now being offered by many nurseries. If the USDA in Corvalis has a tree, then just about anyone or nursery can get scion wood and start their own.