Is There Any Commercial Source For 'Tennosui' Pear

Posted by gonebananas 7/8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 11 at 17:56

Or "Meadows"?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is There Any Commercial Source For 'Tennosui' Pear

Angel Oak in NC, maybe.

I've been wondering the same thing, & just googled " tennosui pear nursery". looks like there are 2-3, but not anybody I've heard of before. maybe I'll drive to Houston where it started & pick one up.

o

gb,
I think I've seen Meadows in the NCGR list; haven't looked in a while - Tennosui may be in there too. NCGR does provide scions, but I think the cutoff date for ordering is Dec 1.

o

Thanks both.

NCGR does not seem to have them.

Angel Oak is about 100 miles from me and I pass there every few months (but five days ago unfortunately). I had never heard of it and am glad for the notice. "Meadows" seems a bit harder to find. I have tried several times.

o

Meadow available at brazoscitrusnursery.com. But it's wholesale only

o

you would be better off with orient if you want a domestic pear that is some what like an Asian. Or go with a true asian like Olympic aka Korean Giant, or Shinko.

o

Fort Bend County Master Gardener sale on Feb. 12 will have Tennosui, Kieffer, & Shinseiki pears. Bareroot from Dave Wilson Nursery.

o

Well I dont think he mail orders them but John Panzarella in the Houston Area has them or at least his website says he does. I had one that I bought from the Houston fruit tree sale a few years ago but I had to move and it was left behind. I would love to start another one. BHawkins are you seriously thinking of going to Htown to buy one? If so let me know because I would gladly pay you to pick one up for me if you go. I will gladly pay you shipping also. You can contact me offlist or on if you can. Boy is it cold in Dallas or what?

Scaper

o

Hi Scape, good to hear from you. If you're looking at trees, then you must have bought that house in Dallas; how much land do you have, & where did you buy?

I'd like a tennosui, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time for the 250 mile trip to Houston. I emailed John Panzarella; his daughter's tree in Plano is still alive & well, bore a few fruit in its 3rd year

Bob

o

Your right I got it. Dont have a lot of land yet but I plan to espalier my trees for space saving. Yeah Tennosui I think would do very well here. I also tried emailing John But so far he has not responded. It says on his website he sometimes will deliver a tree if he comes to the area and I would be more than willing to wait but like I say he hasnt replied yet oh well. I have heard that Dave Wilson is starting to grow them but they use 333 rootstock which makes a lazy dog of tree that seems to stop growing and producing after a few years. I would be more than willing to graft my own tree if I could find graft wood available. If you do wind up in Houston anytime soon please let me know. If I go Ill do the same. By the way, JimBabb if you see this why do you think they would be better off with a true Asian? Just curious about the comment.

o

Anyone still looking for some tennousi grafting wood contact me. Danny must have sent me half his tree in scion wood!!!

o

Scape, John p is going to try to bring me 2 trees in 2-3 weeks, one of them has your name on it

Bob

o

I see now that Bay Laural Nursery is carrying it (and that I misspelled it: "Tennhousi").

They also carry "Southern Bartlett," not easy to find up till now (though a kind home orchardist gave me scionwood a few years ago and mine is soon to yield).

o

I purchased what is labeled as a Tennosui from them this year as a bareroot. There was no charge for it since there was some minor damage to the rootstock. It is growing. It is becoming little shaded out and I need get back there asap with the weed wacker and get it some more sunlight since its growth has slowed down. Bay Laural has a large selection and I may order from them again. Everything I ordered except for a cherry has done well. It really is my weather that is causing the problem and the cherry is still in a pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here