Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_nc7

jujube varieties

larry_nc7
17 years ago

I'm planning to plant a couple jujubes at our farm this spring. Does anyone have any favorite varieties, and sources?

I'm mostly interested in fresh eating.

Thanks! -- Larry

www.frogpondfarm.org

Comments (22)

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

Hidden springs nursery has jujube at lower cost than other nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: hidden springs nursery

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

I would recommend Li and Sherwood. Lang has never done well for me. Chico is supposed to be good, but have only had one fruit so far on my small tree.

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

I would suggest "Honey Jar" and "Sugar Cane", both of which I thought were terrific.

You can obtain these from Roger Meyer -- he sells via mail-order, and his prices are very reasonable. You can reach him at exoticfruit@95net.com.

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

I suggest you use xotcfruit (at) yahoo.com as the email for Roger -- the 95net address is unreliable. I found that out recently when I was having trouble getting through to him.

The best jujube for me so far is Honey Jar, it is small but tastes sweet like honey -- excellent. I think Roger is the only source for trees. I also have a Sugar Cane but no fruit yet there. I think my Li is the wrong variety or the rootstock, it is dry and bland. Lang is meant for drying only so don't get that one.

Scott

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

Scott,

Can spambot-type software pick up e-mail addresses on forums like this if the "@" symbol is used? (If so ... sorry, Roger!)

Apologies for going off-topic.

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

Ashok, I am sure the spammers all have his old address anyway. I was hoping to help keep his new address hidden a bit longer with the (at). I expect that spammers have harvested emails from GW, and just about every other public place on the net as well.

Scott

• chills71
    17 years ago

There is another post discussing jujube's in this forum in which Scottfsmith (I believe) listed the varieties and descriptions Roger gives for the varieties he (Roger) offers.

Roger ships in mid to late Feb, so I would order soon or you may be waiting until next year for one of those varieties.

~Chills

• mrtexas
    17 years ago

IMHO Sherwood is a loser. Sherwood  Large thumb size fruit, barrel shaped, good flavor, erect growing tree, poor production. You might try to find some thornless varieties. Sugar Cane and a lot of other jujubes have nasty nasty thorns. My Ant Admire is thornless. My So is very ornamental as it is contorted.

Here is a link that might be useful: mrtexas

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

Does honeyjar have thorns?

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

"Honey Jar" has small thorns, but I think that almost all jujube cultivars have similar tiny thorns. "Honey Jar" is not any more thorny than "Li", for example.

"Sugar Cane" does have rather large thorns. But the fruit is superb.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

Next year I might try honeyjar and sugarcane. I bought a couple for this spring from burntridge called MANGO DONG ZHO and QIYUE XIAN.

• fignut
    17 years ago

Never having tasted jujubes, I did a search on the forum and followed some of the links. It sounds like a fruit worth trying, but I wonder about preserving excess.
    It seems that there is a potential for quite a bit of fruit and a fairly short window to eat it at it's prime. Larry's question was about varieties for fresh eating; but how do they stack up dried? One description said they were "spongy". Are they good dried or just edible?

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

Fignut,

Hmmmn ... I would say they're somewhere between "edible" and "good". Descriptors like "decent", "acceptable", and "O.K." come to mind.

But then again, I might like them a lot more if I was Chinese! They certainly seem to be well-appreciated in that nation!

Jujubes seem to dry out and preserve themselves entirely on their own. As far as I can tell, little or no human effort needs to go into the process -- at least in drier climates.

So I can see how jujubes would be of inestimable value in the context of rural subsistence culture. All you would have to do is walk to the tree and collect the naturally dried fruits for winter storage. Truly a miracle tree!

But, at least in the U.S. and the rest of the developed world, most of us have access to a vast array of foodstuffs at all times of the year. If you were *really* hungry you would (of course) be very, very happy to have a cache of dried jujubes for the lean season -- but it is perhaps harder to appreciate them when you can just go out for Thai food or whatever.

Am I still on topic? No?

Anyway, I personally find dried jujubes far less appealing than true palm dates. True dates have a melting, succulent, super-sweet quality that dried jujubes lack.

• ashok_ncal
    17 years ago

... to add that "spongy" is also a fair descriptor for the dried fruits.

• mrtexas
    17 years ago

The way jujube fruit is good to excellent is preserved in syrup. They taste like the preserved fruit in a fruitcake.

• larry_nc7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the suggestions! Lots to think about: thorns, whether they really are GOOD, varieties, ...

Sounds like Honeyjar is a winner.I finally got Roger on the phone and he suggested Shui Min, Li, Li2, GA866, Redlands4, Shanxi Li and Sherwood.

Has anyone kept them small with pruning? I'm trying to figure out how many I can pack in. Roger also mentioned suckering (up to 30' away!) in his written description -- has this been a problem for anyone?

I'm still deciding, looking for more room to plant them, ...!

• mrtexas
    17 years ago

They do sucker pretty bad. Plant in the lawn and you will mow them down. You can also lop off the suckers or pot up/graft/sell like Roger does.

• lkz5ia
    17 years ago

What price does Roger charge for his jujubes?

• thistle5
    17 years ago

I just received 3 bareroot jujubes from Roger Meyer-So, Shanxi Li, & Honey Jar. Roger also kindly included budwood for several other varieties-Shui Men, Shanxi Li, CA 86, GI 7-62, Yu, So, Don Polenski & Sherwood. I'd be happy to pass these along to anyone who wants to give a shot at grafting them.

I'm going to just plant the jujubes in the ground, it shouldn't be necessary to baby them along in a container first, right?

• eyeckr
    17 years ago

I've found them to be quite hardy and resilient. My Li has been dug up & relocated at least twice and has never missed a beat. I would just plant them in the ground. BTW I'm interested in your budwood. I sent you a pm.

• thistle5
    17 years ago

OK, the scions have a new home, hope they flourish!

• gardenfreak
    10 years ago

Hi everyone.
    I purchased one Jujube . Not sure what variety it is, but it just started to bud. Looking for scion wood from any great tasting fresh eating variety that any one can spare.
    Of course I will pay for postage.
    Thanks