Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ice coating for freeze drying protection on kaki

Posted by creekweb 6,7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 18:19

Expecting temps of -10F tomorrow night with winds of 20mph. Previous posts have shown that wind protection seems to be sufficient to prevent cold injury to kaki at these temps. Too many and too large to provide conventional wind protection but am considering ice coating my unprotected kakis in the late evening to protect against freeze drying - which seems to be the real threat. Any thoughts or experience with this technique?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ice coating for freeze drying protection on kaki

In order for the "ice coating" to do any good, one must continue running the sprinklers until temps are above freezing. It's the continuous formation of ice which releases heat.

Here's some info:
http://www.aces.edu/dept/peaches/frzactive.html

Lots more if you search using "freeze protection via sprinklers site:edu" but no quotes.

Here is a link that might be useful: freeze protection

o

Thanks for the information. I really need the tip for my plants.

o

My idea was not to use the ice as a heat source but as a protective barrier to prevent the drying/freezing of the branches with the frigid temperatures and high winds. The ice would in this model seal in the moisture. It would only be needed for about 15 hours - still I would worry that the drying winds would evaporate the coat of ice before that ,so I'm thinking that the coat would need to be relatively thick, though not thick enough to damage the trees from its weight.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 10:11

There are problems in running unattended sprinklers in cold weather. A friend of mine did it in far warmer weather than this (to finish his hockey rink), and the water froze all the way up the hose, the tap and into the house, where it burst a pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here