Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
villandry

Tell me about Taylor raspberries

villandry
17 years ago

I am think of growing them this year. Any info?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• Scott F Smith
    17 years ago

I was trying to grow them in an area without much sun and they did not do well so I pulled them a few months ago. The berries were too prone to rot. The Carolines, Preludes and Josephines I was testing in the same area did better. Maybe in full sun they would have been great, who knows. They certainly have a good reputation and maybe the rotting will not be a problem in your climate. After all the "best tasting raspberry" remarks I read in catalogs I was expecting something really special in the flavor but I didn't find it. Overall, probably a good bet in full sun but there are many other varieties today just as good.

Scott

• villandry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Scott,

They will be in very full sun. And I keep seeing the "best tasting raspberry" remark as well. Well I split my bet and planted the other half of the bed with Amity.

Thanks!

• skyfarms
    12 years ago

Bumping this.

I'm looking at planting this variety next year. What is everyone's experiences with this variety?

Thanks,
    Marlene

• merrydancer
    11 years ago

I have given Taylor a few years of trial. I have a large area of Tulemeen raspberries and was wanting to add another. Taylor are much better flavor than Heritage (which I pulled out after a few years)but not quite as good as the Tulemeen. Taylor are a little smaller than Tulemeen and not any more productive..... out they go after this season. Also... love Polana for a fall berry..very tasty and productive. Just planted Caroline this spring so dont know about this variety. Had Meeker years ago...like Tulemeen better. Also, Tulemeens has quite a long picking time compared to most other varieties.

• mugs132
    9 years ago

Taylor stands out as the best tasting raspberry variety. It is Really good, call it high quality too. Just a hint of tart with a smooth suttle sweetness that is perfectly in balance. Bright in color and medium to soft firmness. Produces fruit on floricanes (2nd yr) between mid-Jul to mid-Aug. Canes can grow 5-7' tall and are more floppy than upright, so trellising is needed and improves yield anyway. This is a must have variety for the homeowners lineup. The flavor is far superior to all other red and yellow varieties. See my video for more on getting started.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Start Growing Raspberries

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I like them, but the flavor is not far superior. Caroline is awesome. Polka is also very good. And many yellows are outstanding. Anne, Fall Gold, and Cascade Gold, are excellent. Prelude and Encore are not as good, but they grow much better than Taylor. the sheer volume of fruit, especially Prelude make it well worth growing. The flavor is still very good. I have heard Polana is good too, never tried it. I would say one is much better off going with Caroline or Polka or both, than Taylor. These are the top reds for me.
    I watched your video and thought it was done really well, but you planted them way too close. They should be no closer than 3 feet. Suckers will fill a 6 foot spacing. You have to leave at least some room for suckers. Your dividers are not going to stop them from spreading beyond. Also I myself would never use top soil, It's juke soil, may even be harmful. Use just compost, or you can use garden soil, and a little peat would be fine, but not mandatory. That will keep PH in line for sure. I would suggest adding it. Also no mention of mulching. The best way to keep the soil rich, and moist is to mulch. I use shredded leaves and pine straw. I add more mulch and compost every year.
    I have three patches and here is how one looked 4 months after planting. The left side is the raspberry patch. I would use organic fertilizer like Plant-tone, Holly-tone, alfalfa meal, Dr Earth, are all top rate.
    Any good Organic would be fine. You could hit them once a month with a soluble if you really want to keep them growing well. Not mandatory.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 1:11

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Above photo was from 2013, here is a photo of part of this 24 foot patch in it's 2nd season.
    {{gwi:58806}}

This is Polka
    {{gwi:48156}}

Patch is on the left side.
    {{gwi:48157}}

Above photos from this year. I'm still harvesting between 30 and 60 raspberries daily. It should keep going till frost.

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    9 years ago

You're an inspiration Drew!

Know of any type of raspberry/blueberry that requires little to no chill hours? I'm holding out hope that I can grow something in our frost free area :D

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Know of any type of raspberry/blueberry that requires little to no chill hours?

Well for blueberries I know some Southern Highbush are low chill, some are not. Best let others answer that one.
    One raspberry Bababerry is low chill, you can mail order it from Bay Laurel Nursery. You might ask that nursery about low chill blueberries too. They sell blueberries.

I grow high chill types. Here is "Toro" photo taken a few days ago, full fall color. In a couple years this plant is going to be awesome. Still small, looking forward to it!
    {{gwi:54345}}

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 23:28