Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold hardiness of chip buds

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 20:07

In the late summer I chip budded Asian persimmon 'Tam Kam' onto D. virginiana for a friend of mine. They remained dormant, so I expect them to grow in the spring. We're in zone 6, which is the limit for this variety, and I haven't had any dieback on my tree in years past. However, with the cold air coming tonight, I'm wondering if the chip buds are as cold hardy as full branches. Any thoughts on this?

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold hardiness of chip buds

I have no idea, but i have some (peaches/japanese plums) out in the yard and they are being tested big time. I also have some in the garage that should be ok. My guess is that if they are still wrapped it might help some...but who knows.

o

I would wrap them well to keep from drying out. I used to remove parafilm in fall but now I let it stay on through the winter for extra protection, and I re-wrap if it cracked. For peaches in particular I noticed live buds in fall turned to dead buds in spring.

Scott

o

I wish I would have thought of re-wrap mine sonner!!! I t-budded my peach and looked like a couple were taken.

Now that they have been exposed to subzero for a few days. Don't know if it's too late to re-wrap them!!

o

mamuang, I don't have any hard data that it helps, but it won't hurt to wrap them now since we are only halfway thorough the worst of winter.

Scott

o

Hoping I missed unwrapping some.

o

Thanks, Scott,

I went out to wrap a few viable buds after work today. I could not do it with gloves so I had to do it with barehand. My hands were numb after only a few minutes.

It was about -15F with windchill (I know it's not as cold as the midwest) Glad I only had a few to wrap!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here