Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuffametuffayou

Peach Tree

tuffametuffayou
10 years ago

Could anyone recomend a peach for zone 6a.

Comments (10)

• curtis
    10 years ago

Give your state also, the are additional considerations besides zone.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Tuffa,

Attached is Scott Smith's annua peach report. This one is 2013. You can do a search and read previous years report, too.

Ripening time should be taken into consideration. Do you have other fruit trees. If so, you may want your peach to ripe at a different time for a longer fruit picking/eating reason. In my experience, early ripening peach gives me less problem with brown rot.

I finally decide that I need to have a Winblo peach. By several accounts, it's one of the best. It'll be fine in your zone. Also, Scott is only half a zone higher than yours.

You should read up on this forum about peach problems and how to deal with them. If you are in a more humid area, your peach may give you a run for your money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scott's 2013 peach report

• tuffametuffayou
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply's. I'm in Ct 5 miles from the coast on the cusp between 6a and b I do have other trees, mostly apples. That is a good point about coordinating your fruit harvest. None of my apples, figs are ready until late Sept. I have pears and a plum but no fruit as of yet.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Another peach I really want to grow is Red Baron. People who have them say their flowers are a show stopper and the fruit tastes good. That's an excellent combination to me.

I am trying to justify why a family of 3 needs a 5th peach tree!!

Hope your plum is self-fertile. Most aren't and those that are will have better yield with cross pollination.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"I am trying to justify why a family of 3 needs a 5th peach tree!! "

Hah! My kids moved out so only 2 of us now. i have 3 peach , a nectaplum, and a nectarine.
    Red Baron does sound great, I have talked about it a lot. i was thinking like a 2 in one hole with Double Jewel Peach with pink double flowers. the Saturn also has double pinks.
    Also the Double Delight Nectarine.
    Maybe add the new Atomic Red White Nectarine

Dave Wilson Nurseries which produced Red Baron say this about Atomic Red
    "With one of the most intense blooms weâÂÂve ever seen on a fruiting tree,"

You know the dwarf peach trees look really cool too.
    And the Weeping Santa Rosa Plum also is a cool looking tree. The nectaplum with the red foliage is awesome too!

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Drew,

There is also a Flat Wonderul, a donut peach, that has showy flowers in the spring and maroon color leaves in the summer. The peach is also supposed to taste good, too.

The possibility is endless. I just have to restrain myself.

I don't think 3 in 1 hole planting is a good option in my area. Budding/grafting is a possiblity.

• judyallen123
    10 years ago

Best freestone peach tree for zone 7b

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

We grow three varieties of peach in zone 5 because they are hardy and good producers and that is reliance, contender, and flat wonderful.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"I don't think 3 in 1 hole planting is a good option in my area. Budding/grafting is a possiblity"

Yeah but that is going to look funny, and not a good look.
    I wish I was better at landscape design! Maybe a row strategically placed of pink-red-pink-red.

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Hi There,

I came across this Penn State video on high density peach and its merits. It's interesting.

I'd like to hear your comment/input, please.

Here is a link that might be useful: High density peach with Dr. Schupp

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm