Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any fruit trees that thrive with dog urine?

Posted by devinZ none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 20:10

I have an area of the yard that is a dog run currently, but other than that, could be an excellent place for a couple fruit trees or possibly some sort of bush... does anyone know of any trees that at least don't seem to mind being frequently used as a doggy urinal or ideally may even do well from that?

in case these details help narrow it down
- this area gets direct sun ~ 80% of the day
- I am in southern CA (santa barbara area)
- the soil is mostly dense clay (I believe people call it adobe clay soil)

Thanks, Devin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any fruit trees that thrive with dog urine?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 21:07

Dense poorly draining soil and dog pee aren't going to be good for any fruit. I'd suggest a large pot for your tree or bush and keep the dog out of the pot. Or if the dog does his thing there at least it would be easy to leach out.

o

I'd say if anything,probably a Mulberry.They can be pruned to a bush type habit.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 30, 14 at 17:35

Surely any tap rooted tree will be immune. Chestnuts for example. In the first year a protective mulch may be necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here