Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 fruit trees in a hole (Zone 4)

Posted by kinniguy 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 21:05

Has anyone tried the Dave Wilson strategy of 4 fruit trees in a hole in colder zone (Zone 4)? I am in Minnesota and am considering trying 4 fruit trees in 1 hole for my smaller backyard.

Thanks for any insights anyone can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 fruit trees in a hole (Zone 4)

Look up a recent thread named " MM111 rootstock and three trees in a hole" which was started on Jan 13.

It is on the next page of threads.

There is a good discussion on the subject.

Mike

o
RE: 4 fruit trees in a hole (Zone 4)

I never fully understood the method to his madness....

That many trees in one hole almost seems to force you to use a crazy amount of fert. I have seen something like this done using one tree and one support tree, which tends to fertilize with nitrogen (for instance a peach with a russian olive which can be pollarded then used as mulch)

I guess I see DW method the same as grafting half a tree to a certain kind. At least there would be less of a problem with nutrients. There could also be a problem with roots. Some fruit trees do what ever they can to keep roots away from eachother. Some could just mass together and could strangle eachother out (survival of the fittest remember)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here