Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frign deer!

Posted by michael357 5b, KS (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 21:14

A couple of months ago I returned from the big city and 5 weeks of radiation treatments for cancer, boy was it great and theraputic to be able to wander the garden and orchard the day we got home carefully looking every detail of my trees. The following day I went out to look the trees over again as it was such a pleasant experience the day before and saw my 2nd leaf peach had been brutalized by a buck!!! What really stinks is that the tree had formed exactly as I had hoped for and was in prime shape for next year. AHHHHHH POOP, what's a guy to do, so, I put a 6' fence around it the next day to keep the buck from returning and totally ruining the poor tree. After 8 years and over a dozen trees, this is the second time a buck has scraped one of my trees, the other one was a 2nd leaf apple. Must be something about those little trees the bucks like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frign deer!

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 21:28

Sorry to hear of your illness. I do hope that you are much better!! That radiation can be a real ordeal in itself.

I'd be making sausage about now. Do hope your tree recovers. Peaches are pretty resilient.

Keep us posted!!

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 23:38

Michael, it's good to see you on GardenWeb. I left you a message through the blog you and Judy post, but I'm not sure it went through.

Deer are a bummer. They decimated a few cherry trees earlier this winter. I sprayed them w/ Bobbex (deer repellent) and it kept them from rubbing for about a month, then they were back at it again. I sprayed the trees again and so far they've left them alone. Hope the hunters have thinned them out some.

Peaches grow so fast, you probably won't loose much.

o

Michael, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. Early on, I had trees obliterated to the ground. Now, I fence all my trees until about their fourth or fifth year. I think the danger is over now that the rut has past and most bucks will lose their antlers soon. October and early November are the worst months for rubbing behavior. However, if you have a bad winter, you might see browsing on some of the smaller, more tender twigs.

o

Sorry to hear about your health circumstances. The issue with the deer is just salt in the wound!

We have used two strategies (this would be 3 for you with the fence) to keep deer away from our trees.

1. A good quality tree wrap will help protect from all but the most aggressive buck. A couple of very good options can be found at: http://www.buckbegone.com/treewraps.html

2. We use a fear based repellent that plays on a deer's instinctive fear of predators. The easiest to use all-weather product we know of is Deer Repellent Packs. You can find those here: http://www.deerrepellentpacks.com

Those two strategies in addition to your fencing should keep damage under control.

Good luck with your health concerns and the protection of your trees!

Here is a link that might be useful: Deer Repellent

o

Hi,
just want to share my lucky experience with Milorganit organic fertilizer for fighting deer. For some reason, they don't like the smell or something else from this fertilizer and finally have left me and my roses and my apple trees along. I hadn't seen any deer damage since I applied Milorganit on my yard and garden area. So simple and inexpensive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here