Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrslizzykate

blueberries blooming too early!

MrsLizzy K
9 years ago

I have eight bushes that I haven't allowed to fruit yet, but they've been in the ground 3 years (I wanted them to get strong root systems, etc. first). I plan to allow them to fruit this year, but it seems their sense of timing is off and they are already flowering profusely. Maybe the relative lack of distinct seasons here is confusing them. Should I keep pinching off the flowers until later in winter or in early spring? The O'Neals are covered in flowers, and the Misty and Southmoon bushes aren't far behind. I'm in Santa Cruz, California, close to the coast. Any advice appreciated, but especially whether to let these blooms set into fruit or to keep delaying.

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Leave them be. You may not even have another freeze. Even if you do that will just thin the crop a bit.

Mine are blooming also in a greenhouse. Just what I wanted, an early harvest.

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

I'm getting some flowering here in San Jose as well...they bloom early for us anyway, last year was mid-late Feb. And rarely get below freezing (this year has been particularly mild). They should be fine...

• jbclem
    9 years ago

In in the Los Angeles area and some of my blueberries started blooming a month ago. All are blooming now (8 varieties) and I think it happens this way every year.

• steve_in_los_osos
    9 years ago

I prune my blueberries (container-grown) in late summer/early fall to allow a thorough cleanup of pests, etc., and then feed lightly. They respond with new growth and blooms. I have a lot of fruit slowly ripening now as well as more new growth and blossoms. As long as there is no hard freeze....

We had some mid-30's awhile back, but it wasn't enough to do any damage, so I say let the plants decide what to do!

• MrsLizzy K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know, thanks all! I'll let them do their thing. Less work for me, too!

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I've learned here in So Cal that there is no such thing as a BB blooming too early. This is especially true with varieties like 'Sunshine Blue' that are evergreen. I've got some that are setting fruit right now, and it's basically a late season variety. A local nurseryman told me that his 'Sharpblue' bear fruit nearly year round. Do a search on 'Sharpblue' and you'll see a number of references to that claim as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries

• MrsLizzy K
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. I guess if they are flowering and starting to fruit, I'd better start feeding them too, as if it were spring...

• ramayne3
    8 years ago

It is December 12, 2015 and a few of my 45 blueberry bushes have blooms. In the 12 years I have has most of these this has never happened. I live about 35 miles north of Atlanta, GA.

• kingwood
    8 years ago

My container grown Sweetcrisp are blooming now. I previously grew about five different varieties in containers, but got rid of them a few years ago.....got tired of fighting the birds. Decided to grow them again and chose sweetcrisp and oneal. Sweetcrisp has started to bloom, but oneal is nowhere close to blooming. Would appreciate suggestions on pollinator for sweetcrisp. Located in north Houston, Kingwood.