Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamatreehugger

Fuyu persimmon pruning

I planted my first Fuyu persimmon tree today. I noticed that the terminal bud was clipped off to make it fit in the box. Should I train this tree to grow with a central leader similar to the native persimmon, or just leave it be? And, how tall will "Fuyu" eventually get?

Comments (10)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    16 years ago

The biggest I've seen are not too big, maybe 12-15 ft tall by 15-18ft wide. Don't think they need much pruning. I'd just let it go as is.

The Fruitnut

• jellyman
    16 years ago

Alabama:

I'm sort of in the same position as you, having planted Fuyu, Hachiya, and Eureka in the early spring of '07. Mine came from Womack Nursery in DeLeon, TX, and I am pretty sure they are on American persimmon roostock, but wouldn't swear to that.

I planted them among the other orchard trees, in what is, for me, pretty close spacing of about 12 feet to the next trees. I really don't know how large these things will become, or whether there will be significant differences among the varieties. So I am just going to let them grow unless they do something really outrageous.

However, I am encouraged by an Asian persimmon tree I saw in the front yard of a home in Falls Church VA, not far south of me. That little tree, fully mature and loaded with nice big persimmons, was about 10 feet tall with equivalent spread. I talked to the owner, and he never pruned the tree, though he didn't know what variety it was. When I saw that demonstration, I knew I had to try this fruit, which I always thought was difficult to grow in my climate.

During the first growing season, the trees put on nearly 3 feet of growth, and are beautiful with their shiny leaves even if they never do have persimmons.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys. Since it tops out at around 15ft I think I will leave it alone.

• stepheng
    16 years ago

If you wish to harvest the fruit without having to climb on a ladder you may want to keep it pruned to a convenient size. (To harvest you have to clip the fruit or bunches individually generally using hand pruners.) Also, my Fuyu has a very high number of waterspout growth throughout the growing season and it detracts from the appearance of the tree if I don't cut them out after fruit harvest.

• joebok
    16 years ago

I have a Womack Fuyu which was planted in Jan 2005. It has been a very slow grower. The first year, it hardly did more than put out a few leaves. The second year, it grew a few inches and looks healthy for a change, but growth was still very slow.

I've seen large persimmon trees, so they may grow more once established. I wouldn't worry about pruning fruiting wood until a sold growth rate has been established

• BetsS
    11 years ago

I found I could sort of screw off the fruit instead of relying on pruners. (Sometimes the fruits were too close to get the blades in, or I didn't have pruners with me.)

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

jellyman
    3 feet growth the year planted?
    give us some tips please like planting style & if u fertilize with what?
    my saijo, hachiya, & chocolate have put on mere inches
    they are the only trees in my orchard that I barely prune

• murkwell
    11 years ago

Jellyman's post was from 5 years ago. I haven't seen him active in the forums in quite a while.

I believe he is a firm believer in frequent and deep mulching with horse manure from nearby stables which comes mixed with bedding. So likely the trees were well mulched with it.

• Tony
    11 years ago

GOM,

If you want a jump start then use Miracle-Gro for a season or two to get it going. After that too much nitrogen will cause fruits drop.

Tony

• greenorchardmom
    11 years ago

murky good tips thats what I do but with a local organic goat farm
    tonytran organic only but gee thanx