Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach espalier

Posted by houstongardener09 Houston, texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 21, 10 at 21:58

Hi i live in houston texas and i just recently planted a may pride peach tree in heavy clay soil along a fence. my county extension agent told me not to amend the soil because the amended area would fill with water. so instead i built a mound of garden soil and compost. I was also hoping to espalier the tree in possibly a fan shape but im unsure as to wether its worth the effort. Anyone have any suggestions or instructions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach espalier

houston: It's worth the effort if you appreciate the beauty of that form. If you just want fruit, then don't bother. Many people like the open center vase shape for peaches. But most any form will work if you prune properly each year, have a strong tree shape with strong crotches, and thin heavily.

I think you did the right thing making a mound. Good luck!!

The Fruitnut

o

I don't have any experience espaliering peaches and I think the reason is that they are difficult to prune to precise shapes because they don't automatically put out new wood where you want it and yet all leaf and flower buds form on last years growth. I think if they were reasonably easy to maintain as a formal shape I'd see them on the estates I work. I know this advise isn't that useful, and I hope someone responds who has actually grown peaches as an espalier. One thing I know is that you don't need the extra reflected light where you are.

o

well its close to the fence so im not sure if the vase shape would be practical because one of the scaffolding branches would probably run into the fence does anyone have any instructions for a fan shape espalier

o

First of all, you have to emulate the shape of an old fashioned hand powered fan and not a modern electric one. Ha ha.

You have to begin the shape the first year by cutting the tree down to the height you want to start the fan. The branches will eminate from the first couple of inches below the point where you cut. With pears and apples you can cut into 2 year or older wood and new growth will form at the point of the cut, but with peaches you sure can't count on it. I've killed young peach trees by decapitating them to 2 year old wood that had no 1 year wood below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here