Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsgarden

Applying Hollytone fertilizer to young blueberries

lindsgarden
12 years ago

All,

I planted a bunch of blueberries last spring and am planting more this Spring, I want to fertilize them to get them off to a good start (at least the ones that will have been in the ground for a year this Spring). I plan on using Hollytone since I have a big bag of it in my garage already.

1) How much Hollytone do you add (topically) to your recently established blueberry plants (mine are 1-3' tall, but not wide at all) per plant (ie. 1 cup per plant)? I figured that I would add pine mulch on top of the fertilizer this Spring so as to not disturb the shallow roots.

2) How do you incorporate Hollytone into planting bareroot blueberries, if at all?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• john_in_sc
    12 years ago

I use the stuff too... Hollytone "Azalea, Cammelia, and Rhododendron" fertilizer...

I just sling a cup or so under the plants in the spring.. Maybe more for larger bushes.... It's mostly blood and bone meal - so precise application isn't as critical as it is for "Synthetic" fertilizers....

My biggest problem is that my dog likes to eat the stuff... and then he fertilizes the yard rather than the blueberries...

Thanks

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its so mild.. its basically idiot proof .. including the dog . .. lol ...

but you should read the bag ... for information precise to what is in the bag ...

ken

• grizz299
    9 years ago

I believe that Hollytone achieves acidity through Aluminum Sulfate.
    . Al. is common in soil but its effectively locked up. In the free form it is toxic and even run off is to be discouraged
    My research on the web (never 100% reliable) suggests it is particularly destructive to the very fine root system of the blueberry bush .
    I have written Espoma, but suggest this prod. should be avoided. Maybe best to do your own research.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

"I believe that Hollytone achieves acidity through Aluminum Sulfate. "

That is incorrect, elemental sulfur, no Aluminum Sulfate in the product.

"Maybe best to do your own research."

Now that is just ironic!!

• grizz299
    9 years ago

I was careful to say I "believe" that HT uses Al Sulphate and the "do your own ...." was meant to qualify me, not the marketplace.
    Sonoma makes and markets al sulphate (wrongfully I think) THEY DO NOT USE IT In HOLLYTONE. What they do use is "elemental sulphur" which is consistent with their organic label.
    . Mia Culpa

• kyyada
    9 years ago

I used Gardentone about two ~ three cups a plant but they are larger than yours about four and a half feet, I put it on top of the wood mulch and then re-mulched them with last years wood chips ran through a shredder and they are doing great and are loaded with berries. I don't know what the ph is....I think the mulch is solving that issue.

This post was edited by kyyada on Sun, May 18, 14 at 10:46

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I believe it is possible for monkeys to fly out of my butt, you know like the ones in the Wizard of Oz.
    You went so far as to write the company to tell them to avoid something they are not using. Sorry, that is kinda funny. Espoma is family owned, the original family that started the company in 1929 still owes it, great company.
    Sonoma makes furniture, unless you meant Napa Sonoma that make adult beverages, or Sonoma County Sheep Co
    Also the Sonoma Wool Company, and Williams-Sonoma makes cookware.

I can't find any product that Espoma makes with aluminum.

I did though find one reference to aluminum
    "Adjust the pH if necessary. If the test says soil is too alkaline, add a product that contains sulfur such as Espoma Soil Acidifier. ItâÂÂs safe, long lasting and better than aluminum sulfate. If the test says itâÂÂs too acidic, add a safe, pelletized lime product like Espoma Garden Lime. Always follow application instructions."

It appears they do not market or make any aluminum sulfate, and you didn't preface the statement with the word "believe"

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, May 18, 14 at 11:01

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Drew, mea culpa means "my fault", I think you are beating a dead horse.

I use as much Holly Tone as I can grab in my hand on each bush, sprinkled around. I've had great yields for ten years so it can't be too far off.

Scott

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I know what it means, but yet another untrue statement was made. Espoma does not market aluminum sulfate in any product. Despite the 2nd suggestion it does. Best when in a hole to stop digging. My response was to the 2nd untrue statement, as I felt it best to correct the record once again. I'll stop beating the horse when it stays down.
    Please no more false accusations about the Espoma company.

Sorry, I just really also like the product. It's great because big box stores carry it, and so many insist on shopping at them. At least they have a fantastic organic alternative to offer the masses. A family business too, it just really upsets me when people so willingly will throw the baby out with the bath water. Both statements were careless and destructive to a good company, and I'm highly offended by those statements. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

• hoosier318
    9 years ago

I just bought some Holly Tone for my blueberry bushes too. I saw this product promoted and did see some great results because of it on YouTube. After reading all the posts I am kind of confused as to how much to use on existing blueberries and ones going in pots. Also going to mix 1/3 peat, 1/3 potting soil, and 1/3 fine pine bark mulch for the blueberries I am potting-does this sound sensible? Have heard varying remarks as to how many bushes per pot-have seen from anywhere from 1-4 in a 20 gallon pot? It has taken me several times on the blueberries as the first time the rabbits had lunch on 18 that I planted several years back in the fall. Smarter on those this time around as they are getting chicken wire fencing, even though I haven't seen any rabbits lately as the new neighbors have dogs. I am persistent and want to grow blueberries as I really love them!! Ohh have 2 Kablueys, 2 Bluecrop, and 2 Elizabeth in the garden. Potting 2 Chandler, 2 Bluecrop, ! Earliblue, and 1 Tophat in pots.

• grizz299
    9 years ago

I did qualify with " I believe"
    I did write them immediately and issue a retraction
    . And of course you are wrong: they do market ALUMINUN sulphate. In fact that's what prompted me to conclude that they might use it in hollytone.
    . The only thing you wrote that made sense was about the monkeys flying out of your butt.
    And if the source material I've read about Aluminium Sulphate is true, Espoma shouldn't be marketing the stuff at all and should have a special disclaimer about blueberries, since the stuff, according to several sources, is particularly destructive to the fibrous blueberry roots.
    I grow some two hundred blueberries in Mass. And NY. I've purchased from some 8 different websites and cruise all of them. Only Nourse Farms talks about the danger of the Aluminate form.

• describingcolor
    last year

As someone that typically uses other products to acidy my soil for blueberries (Soil Acidifier, watering adding highly diluted vinegar, etc.), I am new to Holly-tone. I read more about it and purchased Holly-tone recently. Coming across this site in researching application/tips, I appreciate Drew setting the record straight. If we can’t trust everything we read on the internet, what can we trust?! ;-) There’s enough misinformation out there, without quality, self-policed forums adding to it. Grizz initially created doubt in my mind about the product I just bought; appreciate someone adamantly setting the record straight. Even with the mea culpa, there was still more confusion added. Also, not sure why ”ALUMINUN” is yelled in CAPS. Is this a different product from the aluminum variety? While this thread is old, it was a top hit for my search. Never know how long what you add to the internet will stay relevant. Keep it real.