Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Natal plum from seeds indoors

Posted by kurite 5 (workoutguy123@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jan 1, 10 at 22:58

Hi
I wanted to purchase some natal plum seeds and grow them indoors. If anyone has some tips that would be great. Unfortunately the best light i can give it is an east window. Also i heard that it is a tree/bush depending on how you grow it? Does anyone know how to grow it into a single stem tree?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Natal plum from seeds indoors

I have never seen a Natal Plum growing as a tree, and the tallest one I have ever seen was my Grandfather's, which was about head-high when it was 20 years old, growing in the desert with lots of heat! Most are about hip-high after a few years, growing in zone 9.
I don't know if you could grow one very well in zone 5, and I doubt you would get fruit. You do know they have leaves and need sun all year long, yes? And they do not do well with cold at all. Even I have difficulty growing mine in Sacramento, because they keep getting nipped/killed by frost when our weather reports are wrong, and I don't get them covered. I have replaced 3 plants that died this way (well, 2 and one that looks REALLY bad right now :( we'll see if it grows again when it gets warmer)
But if you still want to try, I would love to know where you get seeds, because Natal Plums are one of my favorite fruit, and it's getting harder all the time to find anything other than the ornamental "Boxwood" variety.

Carla in Sac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here