Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Atomic Red White Nectarine on Nemaguard

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 23:03

I was pretty much done with adding any bareroots and then I saw Atomic Red White Nectarine. My local nursery has it on Nemaguard. The plants look fairly small compared to the other bareroots, any one know how this tree is actually doing?

I know it is listed at 500 chill hours, I am closer to 300 but have a cold zone left I could plant it. Anyone know if 500 is their safe guess?

Is the fruit as good as the flower?

It is a couple more weeks til Tom Spellman comes to talk at that nursery and if it is a good tree, I would like to snag one while they still have them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Atomic Red White Nectarine on Nemaguard

This cultivar is new, and not much is known about it. It has awesome flowers! Hey small trees are great, you can shape them better!!
Red Baron is also a double flowering tree, a peach. But that one is also a great tasting peach! It is a good one. Hopefully this one will be too!

o

Drew, it was the flowers that got me. I have a Red Barron in the same "row" that I was thinking of the Atomic. Red Barron can stop traffic on our little street and I think every neighbor wanted to know the name of that tree.

I would like to place in an area that I want to preserve some view from a bench, so I need to keep slightly taller than the rest of the trees. I let Red Barron get a tad taller too so I can better enjoy the bloom from the top of the lot (hillside terraced garden/orchard)

o

Red Baron is pretty amazing isn't it? I get comments on mine all the time. Its in a sea of blooming fruit trees but people still notice it.

The trees are sometimes smaller on newer varieties because they are one-year old trees and the older varieties are 2-year trees.

Scott

o

Update. Talked to Tom Spellman, he said that it is a good nectarine but was held back from distribution because it is a cling stone and that is not as popular as a free stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here