Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mk_in_ohio

Anyone successfully growing Triple Crown or Loch Ness in Zone 5b?

mk_in_ohio
13 years ago

I want to add to my blackberry collection (I have Ouachitas currently), and was going to purchase a Triple Crown and a Loch Ness until I read some posts indicating

Triple Crown might not be very winter hardy. If you are growing either variety, do you provide any winter protection?

I want blackberries that are good producers and good to eat fresh, as my little son wasn't in love with our Ouachitas in their first fruiting season this summer, claiming they had a bit of a "sour" taste. (I enjoyed them.) I don't have much room, so can only take on one or two.

Thanks for any input you can give me!

MK

Comments (6)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    13 years ago

I have Triple Crown blackberries in 5b. Most winters there is some kill back from mild to severe. Still, they will produce at least some berries each year. I do not protect them. they are slightly sheltered from west winds and likely need a bit of help.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Triple Crown

I got kill back the last two years. The low temps were right around -17F (maybe colder) both years. The canes covered in snow made it fine. I ripped them out this fall (bad spot for them).

They are amazing at how fast they grow. I had a lot of fruit last year, so a lot of buds must have made it.

I would grow them here, but I would bury them in snow/lay them on the ground.

• Scott F Smith
    13 years ago

Note that when Triple Crown get older the canes can get quite thick and they will be harder to bend over and may require digging them up on one side to get them down without snapping. In other words, more work than you might have expected.

Scott

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

when study blackberries 10 years ago for your zone the ideal was cover with 6 foot straw overwinter and tie it down. This work in zone 3-4 as well.

• joberry
    13 years ago

MK
    I am in zone 5 in northern Ohio. I have Triple Crown, Chester (for 7 years), Illini Hardy, Prime Jan (2nd year from Nourse)and last year added a Nelson's and Borderland Beauty from Fedco Trees. Last year, I had the best production from my Triple Crowns and Chesters ever. I was ready to replace them because of the lack of production from the freezing off, but last year must have been a milder spring with no late frosts, because they were very productive. I am going to give them another year. I am not a fan of the Prime Jan for our area thus far. The plants have been vigorous, but the ripening is very late and don't get enough berries and then frost hits and there are still blossums and unripened berries.

• mk_in_ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Sounds like Triple Crown needs protection and will be some work.

I did grow Black Satin some years back when living in a different house, and never had any trouble with winter temps. I've heard Loch Ness is better tasting than Black Satin, and even more productive, so maybe I'll try Loch Ness first.

Joberry, thanks for your feedback on Prime Jan. I had seen that variety in the Nourse catalog and was interested.

I appreciate all the input -

Mary Kay