Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

Which avocado variety do you grow?

djkj
9 years ago

A friend of mine was asking me about which avocado varieties are best to grow (he is in Zone 9B). The Gem (A type of Gwen) is specifically bred for California weather (See video link). I suggested him that variety but not all nurseries sell them.

I wanted to know from you growers which ones you think have what qualities (heavy bearing, year round fruits, etc).

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Avocados - Best varieties

Comments (6)

• fireduck
    9 years ago

I have 20 avo trees and 16 varieties. I suggest your friend research varieties a bit online...and decide which one he might like to eat and grow. There are NO varieties that bear fruit continuously all year long.

• Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
    9 years ago

What's with this video popping up in gardening forums? DJKJ, are you just promoting your videos in strange ways? It's a little weird...

Anyway, Sir Prize, Lamb Hass, Reed, Sharwil and Jan Boyce are the ones to get. Gem isn't specifically bred for CA weather any more than other varieties are. In fact, it's almost impossible to get avocados from other growing regions in CA since they're so climate-dependent.

• djkj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions fireduck and Jay-Part-Shade

Jay-Part-Shade - The varieties you mention are interesting. Do you see Sir Prize, & the others being better than Gem? If so, can you please share the details. I was at a nursery where the store person told me if I had the space for a big tree, Haas is a nice option but for space constraints, Gem produces delicious avocados similar to Haas and takes much less space. AFAIK they didn't have Sir Prize and Sharwill. I checked my local garden stores and most have only Haas.

We live in populated urban area so have space for only 1 tree (most likely dwarf) so not lucky to grow 20 varieties and decide :( We need something that is "well rounded" in taste and production

• Chris
    9 years ago

I don't know most of the varieties by name, but I can definitely say that Hass has a reliably great taste.

In my experience, the larger varieties of avocado tend to be a bit bland. There's a variety that's prolific in central America that's huge and tastes like air.

• fireballsocal
    9 years ago

I grow fuerte. It's a delicious creamy avocado but the tree is very wide spreading and the fruit doesn't have as much meat as hass. Fuerte was the dominant commercial avo crop till Hass became prolific. I think you should look at Hass.

• Deborah lippitt
    2 years ago

Fuerte is better than Hass and for real flavor..Nabal!! But they aren't reliable producers..producing heavy crops every other or ever three years. I grew up in San Diego(even lived in an avocado grow for 5 years)..but no longer live there and PINE for a good avocado!! Not happening in Oregon and IMO Gem avocados suck...ok maybe not horrible but when you grow up eating the best...nuf said. I'd look for a Nabal.

Dwarf avocado..not sure that is possible.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!