Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chandler

Posted by riverman1 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 0:06

I have two chandler blueberry plants that are in their 5th year. They are probably 3.5 feet tall, tons of new growth every year and seem to love where they are growing. The problem is they overproduce and the berries are always really small. Last spring I pruned them really hard hoping it would help but the berries were still small. Thinking about replacing them but wondered if anyone else having better luck with this variety.

Thx,

RM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chandler

I must be tired guys, meant Chippewa, not chandler. Sorry.

RM

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 0:13

If pruning doesn't fix the problem, I have nothing to suggest. You could simply write off the Chippewa blueberry shrubs and leave the berries for wildlife, I suppose.

o

Pull it and replace it ;)

o

riverman,
I have one that is about four feet and it gets many flowers and fruit,but they are accompanied by a lot of leaves and most of the berries are of fair size and sweet.
This picture was taken towards the end of May,last year.I was also concerned there were too many flower buds,but the leaves eventually filled in. Brady

o

Hard to tell on the size Brady, are they "blueberry" size or more huckleberry size like mine?

Strange thing is when you read a description about chippewas they don't say anything about tiny berries or I would have never planted them!

The plants are thriving, vigorous growers but poor producers for me at least.

Thanks everyone,

RM

o

Picture of one of the Chippewas from last year.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/RiverMan1/June152012/chippewa.jpg

o

I guess I'd call them a small to medium size berry compared to varieties like Chandler or Darrow,which are usually very large.But I like Chippewa,they produce a lot of fruit and taste good.
Are yours poor producers because of fruit size? Brady

o

They have tons of berries but the berries are really tiny, just about exactly the same as a huckleberry. I pick a few to eat but mostly find myself going to the other bushes because they are so small. I think what I will do is see how they do this spring and if they are still really small then get rid of them.

RM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here