Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberries: did I do this right?

Posted by newoldhouser 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 0:35

First let me say, I am VERY new to gardening, but anxious to learn! I finally got my wire trellis built and tied up my berry plants. I have several thorny bushes that were transplanted from south Louisiana. I have no clue as to the variety. And I have several thornless plants. I think some May be Natchez. Unfortunately, I didn't pay to much attention when I bought them. This will be their second growing season so I'm expecting to get a lot of berries. Did I tie them up right? Should I prune them back more? Would love any advice you have! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberries: did I do this right?

More pictures

o

Thorny bushes. These were transplanted last year. I thought they were dead but flourished and bore huge berries. I'm excited to see what they do this year! Should they be thinned out?

o

Thorny up close

o

Thornless plants

o

I got a blackberry bush last summer also. Grew tall andhad some big berries first year. Did not think you had to tie them up? Thot they were like raspberries. I can understand why though. The plant is hangin all over! Interested in an answer

o

I think the point in training them to the trellis is to control how they grow and to make berry picking easier. Also the canes are not strong enough to support all the fruit it makes. I had some canes last year just laying in the grass and the fruit ruined. Those things grow like crazy, I had to pull some canes out of the ground because they had rooted and shot up more plants 4-5 feet away in my grass.

o

I think the point in training them to the trellis is to control how they grow and to make berry picking easier. Also the canes are not strong enough to support all the fruit it makes. I had some canes last year that got so heavy they just laid in the grass and the fruit ruined. Those things grow like crazy too!, I had to pull some canes out of the ground because they had rooted and shot up more plants 4-5 feet away in my grass.

o

Sorry for the double post!

o

Your canes are fine; no need to prune out more this year. My canes are 5 to 10 times denser than yours and they do fine.

My first impression of your heavy posts is that you could attach horizontal wood and plant kiwis!

o

Lookin' good!

Scott

o

What varieties do you have? I planted an Apache thornless this fall and have a natchez thornless in a pot to plant when the ground thaws.

o

I'm really not sure. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention when I bought them. I wish I would have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here