Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large pecan tree with ivy to the top

Posted by elaineal z8AL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 0:36

I have a 60-70ft Success pecan tree that has English ivy in masses all the way up most big limbs. Some of the ivy stems are 3-4in in diameter. I have read about killing it with RoundUp, but I just don't believe it would be practical. I was wanting to know if it is better to just cut the tree down. I was told it may be the ivy that is holding it up now.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large pecan tree with ivy to the top

Kill the ivy by cutting it at its base. Pull as much of the cut ivy as you can out of the tree. At that point you should dig up the roots.

o

Cut Ivy off high so leave stump tha tie chain around use tractor pull it up from ground.
Success pecan is great tree to have but they get way to tall for good nut production so shorten tree by one half it never grow that tall again and produce pecans more often. Cut shorter if can't get that high in tree I use 16 foot latter on some mature tall trees.
Now good time to do cutting because dormant.
Because Pecan tree so slow you be rewarded within next 5 years with heavy crop nuts and good shade tree nuts forum on water suckers as they age 3 to 5 years.

o

When I moved into our current house nearly every tree was like that. I cut off the ivy at the base. It took five years for all the vines to fall down, at some point you can start pulling them out. The longer you wait the easier it is.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here