Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pansyloverandgrower

How to get best yields of strawberries?

okay soooooo:

I have 2 strawberry plants i bought at lowes last year(2010) in june or july. They had NO information, it just had a fun tag-thing that said strawberries. thats a little frustrating since i cant find anything about how big they are, or what size fruits to be expecting. Many strawberries became moldy, even though they were in hanging planters and most strawberries were not touching the ground. they are about a foot across. The fruits were about an inch- to an inch and a half long, very tasty, but very small. Alot of the time i found fruits eaten by my chickens or wild birds. They were in full sun. They are in a large raised bed together, about 3 feet long, and 2 feet wide.

My questions are:

1. How can i get the best yields of strawberries?

2. How can i help keep the wild birds away without covering the plants with netting?

3. how can i keep the berries from getting all moldy?

4. I read on a website to cut off all leaves and stems in the winter, should i really do that?

ANY other tips?

Comments (6)

• angel_z5
    13 years ago

You only have 2 plants. It is much better to know what you have exactly. A main difference in types of strawberries is that some produce all season long (day nuetral/everbearing) and some mainly in June (Junebearing). Why not do some research and find what is best for your area....then buy some.
    Your research will answer 1.and help with 3. as some types are more disease resistant than others.
    Question 2.-I use netting, though some suggest just using nylon fishing line above the strawberries to scare away birds. I think I tried that and it was not very successful.
    Q4. I have heard that to, but I am in Z5 and have grown >5 types of strawberries, and have never seen any lost to cold.

Always an...Angel

• pansyloverandgrower
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. Some did help. But i have read MANY websites, about 4-5 books on strawberries, and still cant figure out what i am doing wrong. Any one else have any ideas why the berries are small and few are produced?

• skyfarms
    13 years ago

My guess is that you didn't pinch off the flowers the first year. You do that to encourage root establishment so you'll have a plant healthy enough the following season to make more and bigger fruit.

I'd also look at the site where they're planted. Soil pH, organic matter, drainage, etc. can all have their affect on fruit production.

The plants do need to be renovated. Typically after harvest sometime you can mow the strawberry patch.

Not sure why your berries are getting moldy. All berries have a relatively short shelf life.

As far as keeping birds away, I have no suggestions. You could try those scare owls or fencing.

Good luck with your strawberries!

sky

• kept
    13 years ago

I have tried straw and leaves to keep the strawberries from molding with limited success. I think the mold spreads by splashing water when it rains. I usually pick those out and have plenty of good berries that are not moldy. I use garden web that is used to keep birds out of fruit trees and it worked great. I just pull it aside when I pick. 2 springs ago I was picking and found 4 little baby rabbits watching me pick all around them. They found my patch to be safe and sound. I was worried about them eating the berries but they didn't. Really cute.
    Vicki

• djofnelson
    13 years ago

As for the mold, mulching, keeping your plants thinned so they aren't overcrowded, and being sure to stay on top of picking any ripe berries (and removing overripe, moldy berries) everyday should prevent the mold unless it is raining almost constantly with no sun. Once you get a few overripe, moldy berries, they start to send spores to neighboring berries. You can also try planting a firmer variety that doesn't mold as quickly.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    13 years ago

The gray mold sounds like Botrytis. You can treat it with Serenade or another fungicide that is labeled to treat Botrytis. Once it starts, it's difficult to stop and it spreads to the other berries and even the blossoms so you have to be persistent. It thrives in moist, humid conditions.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths