Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit trees (temporarily) in containers

Posted by sailorphyn NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 0:48

I'm landscaping our 2+ acre property in NJ (6b). My plans are fairly ambitious, and I'd like to order and put in the ground several fruit trees this year. I feel like I'm in a bit of a rush because although it's possible my husband and I will live here for 20-30+ years, we're only guaranteed to live here for 7.

My question is, if I order bare-rooted trees via mail in, say, April, is it OK to plant them in containers and car for them until they go dormant in late fall, *then* plant them in the ground? Or would two major shocks (shipping by mail, then planting twice) in the short a period of time be harmful?

The idea is that there will be a lot going on in April/March, and it would be nice to have a bit more time to play with the precise location of trees/plants. It would also give me more time to amend the soil if needed, kill of some of my grass, etc.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit trees (temporarily) in containers

sailorphyn,
That should be fine.They probably will be dormant when they are sent and there isn't much stress then. Brady

o

Keep in mind that I'm no expert. But if you want specific varieties, waiting until April to order may not work well. Mail order nurseries take orders now (and much earlier) and then ship in the spring. I think if you wait until April, many varieties will already be sold out. Again, I could be wrong. Just something to consider.

There are many helpful experts on this forum. They could help you select varieties and direct you to reputable mail order nurseries.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 3, 13 at 10:26

Your plan will work but if it were me I'd likely change my mind on variety or type of fruit to plant by fall. You might better spend the summer planning and order next fall. It won't make much difference on when you get first fruit either way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here