Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bacterial canker on potted cherry trees

Posted by Waiting 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 1:31

Last year my 1 and 2 year old potted cherry trees had big problems with bacterial canker. I'm concerned about their effect on future trees. Should I dispose of them?

Thanks,

gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bacterial canker on potted cherry trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 11:22

gary:

I don't think having those trees around will make any difference for future trees. The bacteria that causes BC is everywhere waiting for an opening. At least that's my understanding. UC Davis has a good section on BC.

o
RE: Bacterial canker on potted cherry trees

Thanks for the reply, Fruitnut. I spent the evening reading up on bacterial canker.

The reason(s) I consider destroying the trees is because of comments in several documents to not interplant new trees with old trees, specifically to reduce the amount of bacterium the new trees are exposed to; and to remove and destroy branches and trees killed by p.syringae (same reason).

Granted, mine haven't died yet and a couple look they've actually beaten the infection.

I'd especially hate to toss my 2 Lamberts on Gisela 5 as Lambert is hard to find on dwarfing rootstocks (at least for Californians).

Maybe I'll move the infected trees to an isolated corner of the yard.

gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here