Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple bloom dates?

Posted by ahajmano sunset 23 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 1:53

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good resource for apple bloom dates? I want to ensure I have sufficient cross-pollination with my existing plantings.

I have 6 apple trees in a hedgerow spaced 5' apart. In order:

Dorsett Golden
Anna
Beverly Hills
Red Fuji
Granny Smith
Pink Lady

30' away, a 2 in 1 planting of:

Winter Pearmain
Winter Banana

Another 40' away:

Pettingil
Ein Shemer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple bloom dates?

Adam's County bloom date chart below.

Here is a link that might be useful: ACN apple bloom date chart

o

Thanks Fruitnut!

unfortunately, The majority of low-chill varieties are missing from the list. Does anyone have a low-chill specific bloom chart?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 16:47

Bloom date of the really low chill apples is highly dependent on climate and weather patterns. So they may not bloom the same relative to one another from year to year or across locations. But with the number you have you will be fine 99% of the time.

Also the chart for up north, ACN, is of questionable help in southern CA, if that's where you are.

o

Indeed, orange county southern California.

My biggest concern is the Ein Schemer planted with the Pettingil. Do you think they will cross-pollinate?

How long do apple blossoms usually stay open for?

o

In Southern California the blossom period is pretty spread out; you're fine with your mix. Don't worry about the Ein Shemer and Pettinggil, Ein Shemer goes from starchy acid to mealy mush in record time whether it's pollinated or unpollinated. I'd recommend you lop it off a knee-height and topwork it with Gravenstein.

o

Thanks applenut.

Are you sure a Gravenstein sets fruit in S23? I only get about 300-400 hours of chill in Mission Viejo.

Beyond that, what other low-chill apple varieties do you recommend?

o

Ahajmano;

Yes, I'm sure; there's one that's loaded every year in San Clemente about 1/4 mile from the beach I'm supposed to go help prune sometime. You can ignore chilling hours on apples and just plant what you want, as many of them fruit just fine with zero chilling hours. Do a Google search of "growing apples in the tropics" and you'll find a lot of info on this.

o

Gravenstein is tasty, you should try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here