Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are commercial plums?

Posted by beeone 4 N. Wyo. (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 1:58

Are the standard red and black plums you get in the store any of the varieties for the home orchard? I've noticed that many fruit varieties grown in the home orchard are frequently also commercial varieties--Red Delicious, Honeycrisp, Bing & Lapins cherries, Bartlett Pears, etc.

But, I've never seen the black plums identified. Despite the usual awfulness of store-bought fruit, the black plums are truly delicious if picked ripe enough to actually ripen before they go bad after purchase, to a soft, juicy, and very aromatic perfection!

The descriptions of the plums offered by the various nurseries don't seem to match commercial plums, and the pictures also don't resemble the commercial ones.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are commercial plums?

There are hundreds of plum varieties grown in CA where nearly all of the store bought plums originate. I couldn't find good pictures by variety but some harvest dates are listed below. Those are a mixture of plums and pluots.

Here is a link that might be useful: plum/pluot harvest dates

o

beeone-

Depending on where you are buying them from, some grocery stores sell them right out of the box they were shipped in. On that box will tell you the variety. I know Woodman's does this and A place like Sam's CLub or Costco may do this too...

o

I tried to find the name of a variety of grape I liked at the store, but they had no idea. The box didn't say.

o

Tilton-

I've always had good luck finding the variety, but maybe some growers don't label? I know a few times i had to pick the boxes up and look on the other side.... This was always on stonefruit (plums/peaches/nectarines/pluots)... A place like WalMart, i've never been able to know.

o

Thanks for the input. The grocery stores always put them on display so I don't get to see any boxes, and I know the personnel don't know what specific varieties they are, but I will watch for a box and see if I can learn anything. Walmart did have several types of pluots this last year with the variety stated, but they were your standard tasteless sugarless fare.

I would guess the commercial varieties are not hardy here anyway, it just seems odd that they don't seem to be sold by variety and the nurseries also don't advertise commercial varieties. Keeps me from trying to zone-push with plums!

o

beeone:

Some of the packing houses have their own line of plums. Their plan is to have a constant supply of plums that look similar and ripen all summer long. They think people get confused by specific names. So we aren't their target audience. Most grocery stores have the same plan, generic fruit for the masses.

The store can market Red Delicious apples year around because of storage. Plums have an average market window of 2-3 weeks. So a specific name doesn't mean anything to most people. It's not around long enough for much repeat business.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 9:17

o

Here is a list of ontario grown plums:

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/07-039.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here