Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super Sweet: Diamond Princess & White Princess

Posted by nguyena1 8b Austin (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 3:12

Has anyone tried either of these peaches? Local lowes has them. Not much info on either of these or reviews when I google "Diamond Princess" Super Sweet. Gardenweb has no mentions of "Diamond Princess". Marketing people did a good job on their tag on the tree at lowes and it's calling out to me.

I got an Elberta and a June Gold about a month ago.

http://www.bradfordfarms.com.au/diamond_princess.htm
http://www.berrynurseries.com/our-brands/supersweet-fruit-trees.aspx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super Sweet: Diamond Princess & White Princess

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 11:44

Never heard of these peaches, but Google had some results:

Diamond Princess Patent
Supersweet Nectarine Review

I would probably not buy either of these trees, based on the general lack of rave reviews.

Hope that helps!

o

nguy:

Don't sucker based on the marketing crap. I tried to look up the patents on those fruits. They aren't that new and the one I found, 7066 I think, didn't give a brix. I'm not buying any stone fruit any more that doesn't give a brix. At 16 I might bite if it looks really good or someone else says it's good. A brix of 19 is where I think most stone fruit starts to really shine. If you can find 22-24 with good flavor you'll start to understand why I think stone fruit is the best.

o
Supersweet review

Thanks for the review posted above. Looking at the picture I can tell you why that fruit is not sweet. It's over watered and probably over fertilized. My nectarines have looked that way a few times when over watered. My biggest and best looking fruit I've ever grown. Just like the reviewer, I didn't eat them. Ever since I've been on the quest for the perfectly watered nectarine. Instead of 12-16 brix I've sometimes hit 22-24 and even once 35 brix. The best fruit I've ever eaten were the 20 something nectarines.

o

The plant tags were so convincing to those peach trees! hahaha.

Fruitnut, what's your top 2 best tasting peach varieties? I've heard good things about o'henry but haven't been able to find a nursery in my area that has it. I went with the standard Elberta and picked June Gold so that I'll have peaches before all the pluots and elberta peach ripen.

o

fruitnut I was disappointed that your page didn't list your best fruits. You really whet our appitites with some of your discriptions.
Dan

o

Dan:

I've tried several times to update my home page. But the changes are rejected. I'll try again but this time test to see if it's accepting anything new before I spend a half hour typing in vain. Thanks for your interest.

o

Got it for $10 at Lowes. Think I'll take it back as it's not looking so good. Has holes in the leaves and looks to be in shock by our hot weather.

o

I grow the White Princess and Sugar princess Peaches they are very good trees and worth the money. Stay after the insect spray and in 3 years enjoy the fruit!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here