Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goji Berry plant doesn't fruit

Posted by honugirl Hawaii (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 4:22

I have a goji berry plant that I planted in the ground two years ago.
It flowers sparsely but has not produced berries.
It is planted in full sun and has long branches. What can I do to get this plant to fruit?
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goji Berry plant doesn't fruit

What zone are you in? The goji is good in zones 5-9. I have two that I planted a year ago and they made blossoms the first year. Ensure that you have adequate fertilizer and water. Maybe it is just putting its energy into developing roots.

o

It might not be getting the chill hours in Hawii!

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 13:36

if not a special cultivar and are just a random seedling, you will probably need more than one for cross pollination. Seedlings have barely done anything for me, while crimson star started flowering and fruiting first year.

o

While you get the fruiting sorted out, the leaves are a perfectly edible and apparently make a nice salad or soup.

o

Thanks to all for the information.
It didn't occur to me that it may just be too warm for Gogi. I received this plant as a cutting off of a plant from a friend's friend so I don't know if the mother plant produced berries. If it does need cross pollination to fruit, how do I do that?

Nice to know that if all fails, at least I can use the leaves for salad and soup!

o

We have cool winters where I bought my pieces root was cold climate, but planted roots first June August 1st had fruit on small plant 3 more cycles of fruit same summer I think problem way got your plant you need order a root pieces so plant fruit. These plants are hedge renews all time leaves come out then fruit then leaves fall off and renew leaves fruit again. many times per summer. chill needs got to be are none at all.
So what came out ground did not get any chill at my planting most like hotter than your climate.
When order root piece they come in plastic bag in side bag the root have as much 2" of new growth they will amaze you how fast grow.

I have single planting could be 100's miles to next plant, well now there a fe new plants popping out ground I think needing cross out question.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 23:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here