Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antanovka Apple

Posted by ClarkinKS 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 7:13

Recently I decided to plant a new section of Orchard with the standard Antanovka Apple. I'm not planning to eat them though I know people do but rather graft them over to a fast bearing apple. What are your suggestions on good varieties of apples that bear fast? Any favorites of yours and what are there advantages / disadvantages? The soil is heavy clay gumbo and PH is 8+. We get late frosts so bloom time can be critical. It can be a challenging place to grow fruit though can be done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antanovka Apple

I wouldn't concentrate on fast bearing, more like what you desire on a apple, sweet, tart, juicy, cooking etc. then, should it be early, mid season or late variety, storage capabilities.
Perhaps a little early to make a decision, check out your local farmers market in the fall and see what people grow and taste some.
Plant your root stock first and graft over the next several years, no need to hurry,....if you do, it can bit you.

o

Prairie spy ,honey crisp, and a variety of wild crabs are what I currently grow and they took 5-12 years to come into production depending on variety. People around here grow red delicious,Granny Smith, Winesap, Jonathan to name just a few. As I get older I am getting impatient waiting for varieties that take 10years to produce apples. I figured this time I will graft my Arkansas blacks etc and the others I mentioned on some of my 50 trees but graft faster bearing apples on the others so it does not sting as bad waiting for apples.

o

Most apples take about 5 years when grafting to young root stock.

>>Recently I decided to plant a new section of Orchard with the standard Antanovka Apple. <<

Cant tell if you have these planted or not, ...if they're older tees and you top graft, you'll see a crop much sooner on most varieties.

o

Planting these this year and will bench graft them. What I don't get around to grafting this year I was planning to rind graft later.

o

Doesn't the rootstock determine the timing ? A bud 9 honey crisp will produce much fast than a bud 118. The roots matter more than the top work grafts.

o

Ben that's a great point and partially true a rootstock has some influence but not 100%. The scion wood also determines the speed at which you get apples. I think many yellow and gold apples produce faster than other apples. So one scion will produce on standard root stock in 5 years but another will take 10. All produce faster of course on dwarf rootstock than standard. A standard apple like these I'm planting always take longer to produce but typically live longer and produce more over time. Dwarfs are typically not good choices for the dirt we have here because it's heavy lome and clay. Few dwarfs like our soil . See this link and it will make more sense why I chose this variety for rootstock http://waldenheightsnursery.com/store/rootstocks/antonovka-rootstock I also grow MM111 rootstock for similar reasons http://bighorsecreekfarm.com/rootstock-information-2/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here