Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucky130

Pacific Rose Apple

bucky130
15 years ago

I just ate my first Pacific Rose apple. It was excellent and it came from walmart so im guessing its much better fresh. Cant find any information on it. Anyone have any websites with info? Maybe a source?

Comments (9)

• geraldo_linux
    15 years ago

Pacific Rose is a New Zealand apple and a few are grown in Washington, but it is a private variety and you have to pay big bucks for the right to grow and sell it. I would think at this time of the year that the Pacifics are coming from Washington. I have eaten a lot of them from new Zealand and Washington, and while I think it a fine apple, I didn't think it exceptional.
    It is a Splendour/Gala cross which are two of the apples used in the Washington State apple breeding program.

• Axel
    15 years ago

I bought some pacific rose apples, even organic grown at a local store. I was unimpressed. It has a perfumy flavor making me think it would be delicious fresh off the tree, but a good gala beats it hands down coming out of storage.

Can one grow these as a backyard tree without having to pay big money?

• alan haigh
    15 years ago

Yeah, steal some scion wood.

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

Harvestman,
    I like your style.
    Ken

• tacomakate_me_com
    13 years ago

I love the Pacific Rose Apple = I was shocked that WALMart would carry an item in their grocery of that quality.
    Check out Brisky Canyon Fruit Company for case prices.

• bluegreensuzyq_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Last January I ate my first Pacific Rose apple from the food bank and boy I was so shock how wonderful it tasted. I knew this is my apple I wanted, but find very little information on them. So I decided to see if I could grow it. On Good Friday I planted Pacific Rose with the apple core because one of the seed was attached and growing in it, so I planted the whole thing. Guess what it is growing and I get very execited every time I see it. I also planted Pink Lady and Crisp Pink ( I found they are the same brand just carries two diffrent names) and they are also growing up so now I have 6 trees that are growing up. It is up to God on these plants to be able to grow in Arizona. I will see if I get anything out of it in couple of years.

• irstingy
    8 years ago

Pacific Rose is superb! When one can find it, this is our favorite apple for its crispness and sweetness. It could pass as a dessert apple. Our favorites used to be Fuji or Honey Crisp but Pacific Rose beats them hands down. There's even another variety called Kiku that is a close second; they're now regularly used in our house for out of hand eating or in a apple salad mix. Wonderful! Just wish it was available to grow for the home garden but apparently it's a tightly controlled distribution.

• ubro
    8 years ago

Pacific Rose is the trademark name of the variety Sciros, As with Pink Lady confusion abounds when home gardeners want to plant a variety with a trademark name rather than a cultivar name.

Sometimes, as in blugreensuzyq's case above, they unsuspectingly end up with two of the same tree, just marketed under different names.

Sciros, is under a patent protection in Canada until 2022. But you may find it sold as an apple whip under that name.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH