Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Pomegranates in humid climates?

Scott F Smith
16 years ago

I could in theory grow pomegranates in my zone but I had read various things about how they don't like humid weather. For example in the CRFG Fruit Facts I see something about fruit formation adversely affected by humidity. They also mention they rarely fruit as far north as DC. Does anyone have any more knowledge of this topic? Maybe some varieties are better than others? Maybe they produce fruit but it just doesn't taste any good? Also what time of year is humidity bad for them? Its not so bad in the early summer here, it is only in July/Aug that the humidity kicks in. I see that Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida is selling them, so somebody must like them in humid climates.

Scott

Comments (12)

• lucky_p
    16 years ago

Scott,
    I grew them back home at Auburn, AL - right on the z7-8 interface. Plenty humid there in the summer. I suspect what I had growing was 'Wonderful' - they were started from cuttings I took from big, old plants growing at a family friend's home, when I was about 8 yrs old.
    Depending upon rains & their timing, splitting may be a problem late in the season, with some damage/rotting of fruit, but otherwise, I'm unaware of any other problems.
    There are a number of Russian, Afghan, & eastern European selections in the NCGR at Davis, that may well be hardy & reasonably productive as far north as zone 6 - I'm trialing some here in KY. Salavatski & Kazake are probably the two most cold-hardy.

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

Scott,
    Can't say much about humidity, I always thought the problem was too short of a season to ripen the fruit, and possibly freeze damage in the winter. I've tried to search out varieties that are listed as ripening a month ahead of Wonderful. I'm currently growing Favorite from One Green World and Eversweet from Raintree -- planted spring 2003. I have Granada and Angel Red on order from Baylaurel for this spring. Favorite has done very well vegetatively, never had any winter damage, but hasn't flowered yet, crossing my fingers for this year. Eversweet has been a dud all the way around, still just about a foot high after all this time. Don't know if it's the variety, or just the specimen I received.

Sorry, I know this doesn't exactly address your question, but I think gardeners in our zone should give pomegranates a try and share the results.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys, very helpful information. I will look into planting a tree or two this spring. After posting the above I noticed that Edible Landscaping also sold pomegranates and they have a "Russian" variety that sounds worth trying -- anybody know anything about that one?

Lucky, thats pretty impressive that you were propagating pomegranates as an 8-year-old -- a childhood prodigy orchardist!

Scott

• joereal
    16 years ago

In the Philippines, pomegranates can be still be productive, and it is super-humid. Pomegranates is a low chill crop. But the quality of the peel is not very good in a humid climate. The taste quality is good enough even if it is not as good as in the drier regions.

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Scott,

Salavatski and Kazake are Russian selections from central asia. Not sure of the origin of Salavatski, but Kazake is from Uzbekistan, and is claimed to be the hardiest known pomegranate. My Salavatski bit the dust its first winter, the Kazake is just hanging on, with two ten-inch shoots alive now, after two years. Lucky reported his were doing well a while back, so maybe under the right conditions, these can establish and survive here. He is about 60 miles northwest of me, and a little colder, so there may be other factors that will determine how hardy these can be.

• gene_washdc
    15 years ago

Scott, a small footnote on my "Favorite" pom. I saw the first ever flower buds on it this morning -- so 5 years from date of original planting into my garden. I've been pruning it into something of a tree-ish shape, so the pruning may have delayed it some.

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

I had several varieties, started from cuttings from NCGR collection - and didn't manage to get them in the ground, though I did dig a trench in the blueberry patch and sunk all the pots in that and covered them with leaves/pine needles.
    All sustained some winter kill-back - with most killed back to the ground - but they're re-sprouting. Salavatski & Kazake, which were two-year old plants, were less severely damaged, with Kazake the least injured - it's still got at least a foot or so of live stems above ground and is regrowing nicely.

So...at this early point in my trial, it looks like Kazake may be my best shot at getting pom fruits.
    But, it still looks kinda 'iffy'.

• Scott F Smith
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For my own footnote to this thread, after looking into it more I decided the biggest problem may in fact be ripening time as you mention above, Gene. I plan on covering the plants in the winter and based on my experience with covering my figs I think that will give me enough protection for most pomegranates. I am trying some early ones and some hardy ones. Right now I have Angel Red, Eversweet, Grenada, Marianna, Inhulsen 8, Inhulsen 14, Inhulsen 18, and Salatsvaki and am eventually getting a few more early ones from the ARS.

In terms of hardy ones, Chris Inhulsen in Georgia grew out many of the pomegranates from the ARS and I am growing three of the ones he found the most hardy. He lost the names, but I would say the odds are pretty good that they include Kazake.

Scott

• lucky_p
    15 years ago

I finally got around to actually planting my pomegranates this weekend - lined them out in a 'test' row. One of the 2-yr Kazake plants is 3 ft tall, with virtually no winter damage. The other Kazake is about 2 ft tall, with minimal die-back. Two Salavatski plants were killed back to about 6 inches above ground level.
    All the others (except Parfianka, which I cannot find) are resprouting from the roots.

• gene_washdc
    15 years ago

Scott & Lucky,
    Couldn't resist showing off a little -- this being my first pom to flower:

Flower Bud
    {{gwi:61095}}

Flower Sideview
    {{gwi:61096}}

Flower Frontview
    {{gwi:61097}}

Small Developing Fruit #1
    {{gwi:61099}}

Small Developing Fruit #2
    {{gwi:61100}}

• rcnaylor
    14 years ago

"So...at this early point in my trial, it looks like Kazake may be my best shot at getting pom fruits.
    But, it still looks kinda 'iffy'."

How are they looking this year Lucky?

• membertom
    12 years ago

I'm a little late to this thread but I purchased "Russian" pomegranate from Michael McConkey's Edible Landscaping Nursery and planted it here 2-3 years ago in zone 6b Maryland (a little over an hour Northwest of Washington D.C.) We've harvested around 9 smaller poorly-filled fruits (maybe poor pollination) and four nice big ones. So pomegranates are definitely possible here!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian Pomegranate picture

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County