Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brrrrrr

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 8:24

A chilly morning in Florida.........this will probably be our last freezing blast,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
27 degrees

Over head sprinklers went on at 10 pm when the temp was 34.

o
RE: brrrrrr

For few minute it was 24F here.

o

28 here so in theory the BB would not be damaged at that temp but I feel better with the sprinklers running and a nice blanket of ice for them.

o

BR,

I hope your BB make it through the cold. It is snowing right now in Omaha. On Thursday we are going to get hit with some heavy snow. The farmers going to be very happy to see all that moistures for spring planting of corns and soy beans.

Tony

o

Yep the blueberries are just fine. The impact sprinkler and ice protected them, have seen no injuries.

o

Sweet move Bam! I guess last year was a game changer for you?

o

Blueboy,

Last year I just depended on the irrigation sprinklers which do help but the overhead sprinklers do a better job. The problem last year was a bad forecast. I don't remember the details but it was supposed to be like 34 at 1 am so set the alarm for 1......problem was when I got up at 1 the temp was 28 and I was so screwed. When you first start the irrigation it causes super cooling which drops the temp a few degrees. So what could I do? Turn it on and super cool the plants and damage the fruit or do nothing and the fruit would have been toast anyway so turned it on. That night it got down to 23.

Last night the forecast was for it to be 32 at 3 am...I turned the water on at 10pm when it was 35:) I was taking no chances.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here