Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
experiences with Gold cherry

Posted by windfall_rob vt4 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 8:47

We are making room for a sweet cherry this year. Another of several "long shots" we are attempting for our location.

Had been looking most seriously at Blackgold and Whitegold. But have also kept bumping into positive reference to Gold in terms of cold hardiness and late blooming. While self-incompatible there are claims that it will be pollinated by sours (which we have) since it blooms so late.

Many notes on slight advantage for birds without the blush, but also many notes about small size and mild flavor. I gather it was developed as a processing cherry for maraschinos.

anyone here growing it and care to expand or comment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: experiences with Gold cherry

Have you considered the hardier Kristin cherry?

o

We are also in VT (Champlain Valley) and have several types of sweet Cherries. Kristin is the hardest Red we have, followed by White gold then black gold. We have Hudson and the Ebony series which are less hardy bud wise. We also have a couple of "Starks Gold" cherries which are hardier than Kristin. While they are good, (Sweet and juicy) they do not have the "Cherry" flavor the reds have. We sort of consider them a fruit type of thier own, and they are very productive.

o

Thanks guys,

I had considered Kristin but thought I had read that it was relatively crack prone compared to the others mentioned here. I will look into it some more.

Plumhill, It is interesting to see you placing whitegold ahead of blackgold on the hardiness spectrum. I usually see it the other way around. How far ahead of Blackgold do you see whitegold blooming?
I will have to keep an eye out at Jubilee farms for your gold cherries and give them a try. Last spring you gave me some scion from it when I was getting all that plum wood. The gold didn't take (almost all the plums did, thanks again).
Are you guys growing any tart cherries? I am wondering if it is true that the gold blooms late enough fro them to act as pollinators if one has no other sweets

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here