Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unavailable varieties from ACN

Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 8:50

I had ordered an Emeraude white nectarine from Adams Co. Nursery, among other varieties, for this spring. I recently got a notice from them that due to temps down to 14 degrees in December at Fowler Nurseries in CA, that most of the 10,000 trees that ACN had contract grown there were wiped out. As a result they are unable to fill orders for Emeraude, Zephyr, Jade (all 3 are nects) , and Manon and Galaxy (peaches).

That is a lot of lost trees!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unavailable varieties from ACN

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:21

I ordered Emeraude and Zephyr. Haven't heard anything yet. I've never heard of peach/nectarine tree damage in CA. Those freezes were late Dec I believe. 14F shouldn't have damaged trees at that point. Our first freeze this year, mid Nov was in the teens. No damage. I've seen below zero in early Nov around Amarillo. That to my knowledge didn't kill trees.

PS: I called and they said I won't be getting those two trees.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:48

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 10:10

Hmmmm something seems fishy. Im by far an expert but my trees and others here in OK see temps way below 14 and dont die. I guess maybe if they were laying unprotected and bare rooted.

Another thing that is funny is I checked the actually High/lows for Newcastle where Fowler nursery is and the lowest low was on Dec. 5 and was only 24. Of course the nursery is not in the city but 10 degrees is a big difference.

mike

o

Maybe trees were growing and not dormant? So they died!
Whatever, sucks. You guys grow trees like i grow peppers! Holy moly! Mine only cost a few cents each :) All i can afford at the moment!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here