Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

simple blueberry propagation questions

cousinfloyd
11 years ago

I successfully (but not with a high percentage) rooted some rabbiteye blueberry cuttings last year by simply sticking cuttings that I took right at bud break into pots, covering them with a transparent plastic bag, and keeping them where they only got indirect sunlight for about a month (and I can't remember exactly but I might have skinned the bottom ends somehow.) I'm wondering if there are ways I can improve my percentage success rate without spending any money. I probably have all the bushes I want already anyways; I mainly just want to practice.

I read another thread here that raised one particular question. Someone mentioned taking cuttings well ahead of bud break and keeping them in the fridge for a while to callous (or something like that). I didn't really understand that. Can anyone explain that a little?

I also tried taking cuttings in mid- to late summer from fresh growth that was starting to turn just slightly woody, but I didn't get any of those to root. It seems like winter/early spring cuttings are my better bet.

Would propagating southern or northern highbush be any different?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz