Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Vine, Akebia Quinata worth growing?

Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 9:23

Just wondering if anyone has any experience growing this plant. I looked online and does not really give mcuch for climate other than zones 4-8.Is it worth growing as an addtional exotic fruit and what kind of growing season (I'm usually frost free mid may to october) are you growing it in?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Vine, Akebia Quinata worth growing?

Hi Glenn

I've been attempting to get fruit for at least 7 years now. The first vine I put in is lovely with foliage that lasts year round. Flowers are all purple. It's mate died, so I bought a second variety labeled as self fertile. Still dark purple flowers but 2 very diff sizes and configurations so I believed one kind would be male, the other female. I even attempted manual fertilization with a paint brush, no results. I finally read here that the variety Silver Bells is the best pollinator and worked for another gardener her at GW. That's the variety that died years ago. Now I'm looking for that variety again. Gotta find it cheap as hubby just retired and my gardening budget is minimal now. Anyway I've read the fruit to be rather gelatinous but nicely flavored. Probably like the passionfruit I have here. Anyone sensitive to textures in food would not enjoy it at all (like my hubby who won't eat lots of foods as texture objectionable).

Not a lot of help, but wanted to save you years of frustration waiting for a single vine to mature enough to grow fruit.

Pam in cinti

o
RE: Chocolate Vine, Akebia Quinata worth growing?

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 18:22

thanks for the reply Pam, I think I might pass on this one...I'm all about eating stuff fresh and my kids probably won't care for it either, and not to mention the long wait till fruition.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here