Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedless Bunch Grapes

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 9:30

OK guys, I have three spots on one of my trellis's and I would like to plant some seedless varieties. I would like some feedback on the varieties below. My main concern besides taste is that I want to make sure I don't plant a variety with a thick skin. And I don't want to plant something that is commonly found in grocery stores. I'm in NW Georgia and have already planted several concords and muscadine varieties.

What say the hive about these varieties?

Himrod
Jupiter
Mars
Neptune
Red Flame
Reliance
Thompson
Vanessa
Blueberry Grape

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedless Bunch Grapes

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 10:31

Jupiter has a uneatable skin IMO. Don't understand it's rave reviews.

Flame and Thompson are too disease prone.

Personally I'd try three of the four new grapes out of Univ of Arkansas, Hope, Joy, Graditude and ???.

I've tried most of what you list and none are that great besides those prone to disease.

o

I have mars. I would say skin thickness is about average, its not super thin but ive had thicker. I got my first significant harvest of a few clusters last summer in the vine's third year (had some the 2nd year but something else got to them before me) they taste similar to seedless concord you see in grocery stores, like concord maybe just a little less intensely flavored. a lot of sources say they ripen in early august but I thought they were kind of on the sour side until early September then I liked them. its been a pretty fast/vigorous grower for me I bet the vine grew in length 6-10 feet last year maybe more, I had to trim it mid summer to keep in contained

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 13:18

My Mars fruited for the first time this past summer. Similar to Mdo, mine were ripe around the end of Aug or the start of Sept. I was especially happy with their disease resistance. Some old vines, possibly Concord, were here when we bought the house. Each year, they get horrible black rot. Sometimes, if I get the timing right, bagging protects a few bunches. With Mars, even the un-bagged ones were fine.

This year, I'm adding:
Hope
Joy
Gratitude
Faith (the 4th UoA which Fruitnut was missing)
Neptune
Jupiter (I don't mind the skin on muscadine, so I'll give this a try)
Somerset (the strawberry flavor sounds interesting)

o

I always figure to start in the state of inquiry first. Anything else is experimental...though with grapes fairly low cost quick results experimental.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/Publications/displayPDF.cfm?pk_ID=6826

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Garden Bunch Grapes (GA)

o

I've tried about half that initial list in 7/8 SC and all died of Pierce's Disease. All the others would be expected to die of it too. You are at the risky edge of the distribution of the leafhopper that carries it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here