Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of sprayer do you use?

Posted by camp10 5a Wis (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 9:43

I've been using the 2 gallon metal pump-up hand sprayers for years. I get about 2 years out of them before they need to be replaced. But my 20 trees are getting bigger and I'm tired of having to stop and refill so often.

A Northern Tool store opened nearby and I see that they have several different models of 12 volt sprayers. Do any of you use something like these?

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 Volt Sprayers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of sprayer do you use?

I use a Solo 4 gallon backpack sprayer. The ones you show would seem to need something to tow them around.

o

I have a 12 volt sprayer that I love, however it does not work for trees, not near enough power. I even bought a bigger one, but only the container was bigger, not the power. Al

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 11:39

Camp,

I use a 60 gal. Fimco sprayer for my back yard. I would prefer the pump to have a little more power, but it still works fine for me.

The weak pumps seem to be a general criticism of these type sprayers. It's just difficult to get enough power out of a 12V pump that runs off an ATV or lawn mower, but there are a couple things I've done that help counteract the weakness of the pump.

First, all my trees are pedestrian height, which means the pump doesn't have to push the spray through the air as far. Secondly, when I got the pump I immediately made a 5' extension for it. I used a 5' X 1/4" stainless steel piece of pipe (threaded on both ends) for the extension (the gun comes stock with a little 18" extension that's pretty worthless). With the 5' extension, I can get the tip of the wand very close to the tree without getting off the mower. It gives good coverage and penetration.

I use a ZTR mower to pull it, which makes it very maneuverable in and around trees. I can spray a tank in about 2 hrs. (counting loading/mixing and any cleanup).

o

I bought a 30 gallon Harbor Freight model that I haul on the back of my 4 wheeler. The key is to look what pump is installed. The main reason I bought this one was because of the Shurflo pump. I have a fishing boat and that's the pumps I use for the bait well. It will pump a stream 60'.

o

Thanks for the replies so far. Good to know that I should we wary of the 12v pumps.

My orchard is near my shed, which has electricity. I wonder if I should look for something with an electric pump?

o

Camp10
Go ahead get 12V sprayer and Electric pressure washer 1600 psi
Plum the 12V to intake pressure washer you spray as high need to fast. I use gas powered PW in back Kawasaki mule 3010 to spay trees as tall pecan tree it works early in morning time keeps going up spray mist. If have bush around you practice on just use straight water this give you back off distance so want blow leafs off tree. Its fun to chase and get good spray on insect that flying away.

o

I have a 12volt 5 gallon Rocket Sprayer. It's on 2 wheels
and rolls easily. I've put a 30 ft. hose on it and spray
my 30 trees and 80 rose bushes with it. You can find them
used on EBay.

o

If you have the storage room and can afford it, I think having a variety of sprayers is a good thing. I have several 1 and 2 gallon sprayers, a 4 gallon backpack, and a 16 gallon Fimco that I pull w/my 4-wheeler. I have had no pressure problems with it at all. I've even used the booms that came with it for field use a couple times and had excellent results.

o

Camp, for 20 trees I would just get a 5 gallon backpack hand pump sprayer. The case when you want something bigger is when you need multiple loads to spray the whole orchard, but 5 gal should cover 20 trees. I have two of them and they basically have an infinite life, all the parts are available and when a part breaks (which is hardly ever) I pick up a new part from one of the online stores. I bought the second one because it is 5 gal and the first one was 4 gal. I need ~10 gal total for my trees and so I get it in two loads with the 5 gal tank.

Scott

o

I have the one, the two and the four gallons sprayers. I have 30 trees and I can spray 100 trees not only 30. May be what is helping me I keep my trees Dwarf or semi dwarf. None of my trees are allowed to go over 10 feet. I had one pears trees stood at 35 feet and I fell down collecting the fruit and got lucky I did not break any bones except I stayed in the hospital for two days and could not move for a week. That tree is a history it is mulch now.
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here