Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camp10

What kind of sprayer do you use?

camp10
11 years ago

I've been using the 2 gallon metal pump-up hand sprayers for years. I get about 2 years out of them before they need to be replaced. But my 20 trees are getting bigger and I'm tired of having to stop and refill so often.

A Northern Tool store opened nearby and I see that they have several different models of 12 volt sprayers. Do any of you use something like these?

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 Volt Sprayers

Comments (12)

• ltilton
    11 years ago

I use a Solo 4 gallon backpack sprayer. The ones you show would seem to need something to tow them around.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    11 years ago

I have a 12 volt sprayer that I love, however it does not work for trees, not near enough power. I even bought a bigger one, but only the container was bigger, not the power. Al

• olpea
    11 years ago

Camp,

I use a 60 gal. Fimco sprayer for my back yard. I would prefer the pump to have a little more power, but it still works fine for me.

The weak pumps seem to be a general criticism of these type sprayers. It's just difficult to get enough power out of a 12V pump that runs off an ATV or lawn mower, but there are a couple things I've done that help counteract the weakness of the pump.

First, all my trees are pedestrian height, which means the pump doesn't have to push the spray through the air as far. Secondly, when I got the pump I immediately made a 5' extension for it. I used a 5' X 1/4" stainless steel piece of pipe (threaded on both ends) for the extension (the gun comes stock with a little 18" extension that's pretty worthless). With the 5' extension, I can get the tip of the wand very close to the tree without getting off the mower. It gives good coverage and penetration.

I use a ZTR mower to pull it, which makes it very maneuverable in and around trees. I can spray a tank in about 2 hrs. (counting loading/mixing and any cleanup).

• Krazy-in-Florida
    11 years ago

I bought a 30 gallon Harbor Freight model that I haul on the back of my 4 wheeler. The key is to look what pump is installed. The main reason I bought this one was because of the Shurflo pump. I have a fishing boat and that's the pumps I use for the bait well. It will pump a stream 60'.

• camp10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far. Good to know that I should we wary of the 12v pumps.

My orchard is near my shed, which has electricity. I wonder if I should look for something with an electric pump?

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Camp10
    Go ahead get 12V sprayer and Electric pressure washer 1600 psi
    Plum the 12V to intake pressure washer you spray as high need to fast. I use gas powered PW in back Kawasaki mule 3010 to spay trees as tall pecan tree it works early in morning time keeps going up spray mist. If have bush around you practice on just use straight water this give you back off distance so want blow leafs off tree. Its fun to chase and get good spray on insect that flying away.

• rayrose
    11 years ago

I have a 12volt 5 gallon Rocket Sprayer. It's on 2 wheels
    and rolls easily. I've put a 30 ft. hose on it and spray
    my 30 trees and 80 rose bushes with it. You can find them
    used on EBay.

• brookw_gw
    11 years ago

If you have the storage room and can afford it, I think having a variety of sprayers is a good thing. I have several 1 and 2 gallon sprayers, a 4 gallon backpack, and a 16 gallon Fimco that I pull w/my 4-wheeler. I have had no pressure problems with it at all. I've even used the booms that came with it for field use a couple times and had excellent results.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Camp, for 20 trees I would just get a 5 gallon backpack hand pump sprayer. The case when you want something bigger is when you need multiple loads to spray the whole orchard, but 5 gal should cover 20 trees. I have two of them and they basically have an infinite life, all the parts are available and when a part breaks (which is hardly ever) I pick up a new part from one of the online stores. I bought the second one because it is 5 gal and the first one was 4 gal. I need ~10 gal total for my trees and so I get it in two loads with the 5 gal tank.

Scott

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I have the one, the two and the four gallons sprayers. I have 30 trees and I can spray 100 trees not only 30. May be what is helping me I keep my trees Dwarf or semi dwarf. None of my trees are allowed to go over 10 feet. I had one pears trees stood at 35 feet and I fell down collecting the fruit and got lucky I did not break any bones except I stayed in the hospital for two days and could not move for a week. That tree is a history it is mulch now.
    Abe

• creekweb
    7 years ago

I used gator_rider2's basic idea to make a sprayer that has cut my spray time from several hours (using a manual pump sprayer) to 15-30 minutes with much better coverage. The power is from a gas powered pressure washer. The pressure washer is fed by a sprinkler pump purchased from Lowes. The pump is gravity fed from a 16 gallon container given by a bottling company. This container has two openings on top fitted so that I can attach standard hoses. I just lean the container on its side with one attached hose open to air and facing upward. I could put it on a wagon to make moving around easier. All hose connections with quick release fittings.

This is a dramatic change. I feel like I've gone from a popgun to a cannon. I can finally reach the tops of my 25 feet trees with good coverage or finish a dense 15x20 ft tree in 15 seconds, a job that seemed endless before. I use a diffuse sprayer fitting and am not damaging leaves. What had been my least favorite task has become almost fun!

• spartanapples
    7 years ago

I am finished with buying any more Hudson pump sprayers. I used to get ok results when they were in Minnesota. When I needed a part, they sent it to me. Soemtimes free (if still under warranty) and sometimes I paid for the part.

Not any more. The last sprayer I bought had the pump break after 1 year of use. The sprayer had a 5 year warranty. I contacted them and they sent a replacement. It did not fit. I contacted them again and they sent me the same part that does not fit. In desperation I took photos of the part and my sprayer and e-mailed them. Left messages on phone line too. No response= NO satisfaction. Hudson is off my list.

I picked up a 2 gallon Chapin that I hope will work satisfactory. Time will tell. Amazon.com had them and easy to order from.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm