Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
high grafts, pruining the rootstock ?

Posted by benfisher 3, hayward,wi (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 9:54

I planted Siberian crabs and let them grow 5 years. I then grafted the main stems 3 to 5 feet high, leaving some of the rootstock limbs as insurance life. the grafts have done well. I have kept this rootstock growth under control, and low. I'm wondering if my continual controlling of this low growth is invigorating my top good apple limbs. they are growing well, but not fruiting. I have learned to stop pruining for vigor on the tops, but wondering if this low rootstock trimming is haunting me somehow? I hoped to leave the brushy trunk of the rootstock so the deer won't rub their antlers on them and kill the tree. they have killed a bunch of my stuff that way and I'm getting to old to start over!
we also have bear trouble here. they tear off entire limbs. last year I replaced a limb that the bears tore off. i used a grape technique like a t-bud, but added a 6 inch two bud scion, assuming I could train it away from trunk, if it grew. it did grow, but poorly. i hope it takes off this spring to fill out this scaffold.
the real question...will trimming this low rootstock continue to invigorate the top of the tree? ( they are limbs, not suckers)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: high grafts, pruining the rootstock ?

Too much bottom growths, [vigorous root stock] can hinder top growth,..better would be to cut all off, [except the first year when grafting] and put some chicken wire around or a loop of farm fencing, [picture]. Fruiting will come, a little patient needed for some cultivars.

photo IMG_9344_1_1.jpg

o

thanks . I suspected that from my reading. my concern was promoting vigor, like heading cuts do , but I guess it's time. I was hoping not to have to fence them forever, but I guess with the efforts to get them this far I better. thanks for the note.

o

Guess, some branches on the bottom you can let them be, if not done anything over a long period of time, they might take over and you'll end up a ton of root stock. I battle with animals too, figured, when tree is trained to a single trunk and when getting older, then you'll have virtually no more bottom growth, a large trunk hardly ever gets knocked out by a deer or moose. I find chicken wire is very effective against antler rub.

Have the same idea a you..
I let new growth on the bottom carry over into spring, these branches can sometimes safe the tree, especially when young.
It gives rodent something to eat before they attack your main trunk.

photo IMG_6954-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here