Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyway to grow raspberries in a pot?

Posted by emorems0 PA - 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 9:58

We are currently renting and will likely be relocated within the next year (honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet). I would LOVE to grow raspberries and grapes and other fruit plants, but I've put it off because I don't want to invest the time and money in something we can't take with us. I have a couple blueberry plants in pots that have done okay, but what about bigger, vining plants like raspberries and grapes? Is there anyway to grow those in a pot? We'll likely be at our next location for 5 years or so and I'd transplant them to the ground when that happens... but, I'm tired of waiting and want raspberries now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyway to grow raspberries in a pot?

Yes, you can definitely grow raspberries in pots, as well as grapes and a variety of other fruits. For inspiration, take a look at fruitnut's results with potted grapes and blackberries. For good background reading on how to successfully grow plants of all types in pots, check out these two threads in the Container forum...

Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVIII

Fertilizering Containerized Plants IV

o
I hope so!

Here's a photo of my baba raspberries (the two on the right) growing on my patio in San Diego. I'm using 5:1:1 mix in #5 black plastic pots in decorative cache pots.

o

not cheap but BrazelBerries Raspberry Shortcake

Here is a link that might be useful: BrazelBerries Raspberry Shortcake

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:47

Monrovia is also selling the 'RaspberryShortcake'. You might be able to order it locally from a good garden center. Pots may need winter protection so the roots don't freeze (and die).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here