Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Help save my old apple tree-grafting

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

On our property, we have an old apple tree. We have no indication of when it was planted, but the trunk is big enough I can't reach my arms around it, and it is at least as tall as my neighbor's house. We have no idea of what kind of apples it produces, but they are pretty good. The tree has become kind of a symbol of the property for us, it's a lovely old tree.

Now, the problem. We live in an old cottage on Lake Ontario, and the tree is by the cliff. Within 5-10 years depending on the weather, there's a good chance erosion will claim the tree. No matter how long it takes, it WILL happen, there's no way to stop it.

I know if I plant the seeds, there's no way to know what kind of apples we will get. I know pretty much nothing about grafting, but I am thinking this is the only way to go.

So...where do I start? How do I pick a root stock, and where do I find them? Is there a good step by step on how to graft? I don't know how many shots I'll have at this if it's a seasonal thing. We lost a good 2-3' this winter and the tree is only maybe 10-15' from the cliff. Even before the erosion makes it back to the trunk, it's going to start to effect the root system.

Comments (3)